Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapped one tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, May 21, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wasn't to bad at all removing one from the '73/'80 K-10 and replacing it with one from the '82 K-10. Both tanks have rusted through on the '73/'80 because the plastic guard on the bottom was packed with mud and held moisture. Ironic the guard was supposed to protect the tanks and ended up ruining them!
    I used enough fuel line (3/8 and 5/16) to reach the tank as it lay on the ground, wiring also. Hope that doesn't cause a problem in the future!

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did the extra fuel line also but had to remove most of it because it let it kink. Just pull the extra into the frame rail so you'll know that there are no kinks. :xmas:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah these tanks are easy to swap but the length of the fuel hoses/lines needs to be longer and easier to access, everything els eis cake walk though

im about to mount an 86 shortbed driver side saddle tank onto my 71 dually so i can remove the in cab tank

it wil be simple conversion other than drilling a few frame rail holes for the strap tank mounting bracket bolts to pass through
    and running 3/8 hard line from factory pass side over to the driver side

cake walk otherwise

when i am dropping a 73-up tank i always just take the 8 bolts out of the frame rail that hold tank strap mounting brackets to the frame rails instead of undoing the straps and leaving them under the truck

so much easier,.., :D