Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swappin rear axle shafts in a POSI rear end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jul 19, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thinking about tacklin this project, or atleast take the one out of the 10b in the yard, then maybe i will get around to swappin that one into the 10b currently in the truck, any advice or suggestions in doing this?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Simple as simple can be.

Remove diff cover.
    Remove small bolt holding center pin.
    Remove center pin.
    Remove c-clips.
    Slide out axle.

If you want to be picky, you can take off the wheels and drums, too. :D

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

step by step...

To remove a rear axle shaft,you need too..

1.Take tire and rim off,and the brake drum..

2. Remove the cover off the diff--10 bolts..

3. Rotate the axle until you can see the bolt holding the "spider" pin in the case..its usually an allen head or torx head bolt,or possibly hex head..they snap off easily,and can be a real bitch to get the remains out of the diff case!..(thats another whole page in itself--lets assume it comes right out easily)..

4.Remove the pin the spider gears are on...

5.Push in on the axle to be removed,so the "C" clip can be removed from the recess in the side gear..(usually falls out into the case by itself)...

6. Remove axle carefully--dont "drag" it over the outer axle seal,or the splines will tear it up..

7. Reverse procedure to install..

Pictures help a lot when doing this for the first time!--and posi rears use a bit different procedure,(dont take the spider gear pin out all the way!--and watch how the "C" clips go in--they fit 2 ways,but only 1 way is correct!!)-but the basics are the same..might be best to have someone who's done it before help,or practice on your "junk" axle until your familiar with doing it..:crazy:

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Your K5 has 30 spline shafts so make sure the axle in the yard is 30 spline also. I think they switched to 30 spline sometime in 1988.

5. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Its a rear end.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe both front and rear went to 30 spline axles.

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Doesnt matter both will be 30 spline after 88...

8. NEK5

hmmm, not sure if i can get help or not, i really need to get help swapping in my front end still, hopefully that will work out, is it worth having a shop put in the axle shaft, or wait until i have sufficient help? what would you put first, swap shaft in rear, or swap out the junk front end for the good one?

9. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

id swap the rear axle shaft first. Then swap the front ends. Both take a bunch of time, but not hard to do. You dont need help with the rear axle shaft as much as you would need a helper for the front axle swap.

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Axel shaft is real easy to do. I'd love to come and help you but I am on a 2week vacation and will be doing the body on my truck over the next few weeks.

Talk to DirtyJim, maybe he can lend a hand.

It is not worth the $$ to have a shop swap the axels for you. Do it yourself.

Also what year rear end did DirtyJim give you?

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I used to believe that, too. Right up until I ordered a 30-spline locker for my '89 Blazer and had to send it back and pay a 15% re-stocking fee because it has 28-spline axle shafts. :rolleyes:

Never take anything for granted. Always physically verify.

Oh, and definitely do the rear shaft first. You can have that done in an hour or less. The front axle is a little more involved.

12. NEK5

how so i think i will be tacklin this one my self, with you guys on the sidelines, and maybe a friend, but thats very iffy

Glen, unfortunately DirtyJim(dave) is on vaca till the first week of august, i`m not sure what rear end it is, only has 10,000 miles on it though

13. NEK5

ok i got the shaft out of the other axle, it was pretty easy after i decided that the cross pin wasn`t gonna come out too, there was no way i could get it out, that doesnt effect anything right?...i couldnt get it to slide out so i took a hammer and driver too it and it ended up getting jammed in the back of the housing...i need to know the different things i`ll have to do with the rearend currently sitting under my truck now, the posi, and also what i have to do, to not do what i did, if that makes sense

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Getting help!!!:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: I usually wind up doing everything on my junk myself. For some reason help is never around when I need it. I have done engines, trans, and axles by myself.

15. NEK5

anyone? it actually looks like i might have help on this one, but i`m not so sure he`s familiar with the posi....he told me he was gonna talk to a guy we know who is a mechanic, and just happens to be the non official PO of my truck, to see what he has to say about doing it....

16. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you forget to take the cross shaft bolt out? You shouldn't need a hammer to get the cross shaft out. It usually just slides out if you reach behind the carrier and push on it with your finger. Then pull out the cross shaft and take off the brake drum and push axel shaft inward, then remove the c-clip. Then pull out the axel shaft. Pretty easy, I'll search for pictures.

17. NEK5

ttt anyone know how to do it with the posi?

18. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Once you had the cross shaft bolt out the cross shaft needs to come up not down and into the carrier or it won't go far enough to remove the C-clips.

19. NEK5

i got them out:confused: ....what i need to know now is how do i swap it into the posi rearend in my truck

20. NEK5

someone must know how to do it in the posi rear end