Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swappin tranny

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 27, 2001.

i have an 86 jimmy w/ the god awful 700 auto, i hate automatics and want to swap in a manual 4 or 5 speed like an sm465 is this a realistic swap or should i rob a bank?

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Just for the record, I'd keep the Th700, but if you prefer to drive a manual, the 465 would bolt in without great difficulty. You'll have to hang a clutch, so start looking for the bracketry. Later model hydraulic stuff would be nice. A 465 from a 208 application would bolt right up to your t-case.
    A 4500 would also bolt up to the 208, but they're a more expensive trans, so you have to decide if the overdrive is worth it to you. I like having an overdrive, it lets you run lower diff gears and still drive on the highway. Just leaves it more versatile.
    A donor truck would be a good place to start....

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

2. i left out the fact that i'm droppin in a crate engine in the spring, 305 not the 350, but mildly built w/ cam etc.

3. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Madmax I started rounding up the parts nec. to do the same swap but decided to keep the 700R. If your not to far I have the following, pedal setup, scattershield, floor pan cover, frame bracket. no tranny or t-case but have access to them fairly resonable. I am in Colorado just outside of Denver. Iceman

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One thing I forgot to mention is that the 465 uses a 32 spline output shaft to hook up to the 208, the th700 uses a 27 spline shaft. This means you will have to change the input gear in the 208 to the 32 spline, or find a 465 with a t-case already attached to make it work.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. MAYBE I'LL JUST STICK W/ THE 700 FOR NOW