Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping 1/2 ton for 3/4 ton?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Feb 19, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello everyone,

I have almost everything ready to swap in some 3/4 running gear in my blazer. I was wondering what all has to be changed out. Are the brake lines gonna hook right up? Do I need to change the master cylinder? I know that i'll need a conversion u-joint for the driveshaft end. Does anyone happen to have that part # handy? I know I will have to move the spring perches and all that for the rear axle, but what about the front axle? Does this front axle need a conversion u-joint also? Do the 3/4 D44 calipers need to be grinded to fit 15" rims?

Sorry about all the questions, just don't want anything to surprise me when I get to doing it. Thanks for all of your help guys!

--Adam

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

For the 1/2 to 3/4 change you don't need to change the brake hoses or master cylinder. They are the same. Only exception is later one MAY be metric thread, but i don't remember for sure if that is true. You'll only need to change the spring pearchs if the doner rear axle came from something other than a 3/4 pickup or 3/4 burban.

The front axle is actually the same GM 10 bolt or Dana 44 regardless of 1/2 or 3/4 truck. The only difference is the hubs, discs, bearings, and backing plates. You can use the 1/2 caliper as in some 3/4 it is the same. Just keep in mind there is another available for the more HD 3/4. Also the front d-shaft u-joint does not need to be changed for the same reason.

You will have to do some grinding. How much will depend on how much backspacing you wheels have.

Sorry I don't have the conversion u-joint part number, but a search should find it for you. IIRC NAPA is the only parts house that carries them.

3. nau81blazer

Thanks very much Alec! Well that answers every question except the conversion u-joint part number. Anyone know that one? Thanks Guys!

--Adam

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The part number for the 10b to 14b conversion is #447 and the 12b to 14b conversion is #348. Those are Napa part numbers.

Harley

5. nau81blazer

Thanks Harley! Appreciate all the info guys.

--Adam

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Autozone can get them, but you usually have to order them in, usually a couple of days, Napa sometimes carries them, and they are PRICEY at both places, but obviously alittle cheaper at the zone.

I bought my first one at Napa, and it wore out in about 3-4 months, the second i ordered from Autozone, and still running it now,,about 2 years later.

7. nmud2deep

nmud2deep Registered Member

when i swapped my axles i had my front cals. shaved alil to fit my wheels and i had to lengthen my rear drive shaft because it was almost pulled out of my trans....you lose a bit of turning radius with the wider rear axle but believe me it is all worth it because all these trucks are riding around on 35s or higher and at the littlest cut of a doenut they tear the gears out of the factory 1/2ton running gear.

8. nmud2deep

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

10. nmud2deep

took a short to time mess it up and along time and alotta $ to get it that way and yet its go anywhere you can go and still turn heads

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Cool, I'm in the middle of this swap, and this has answered a bunch of questions.

John