Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping 205 in place of 241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, May 19, 2002.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I want to swap a 205 into a 241 application, has anyone done this? The truck is a 90 Suburban with a SM465 and a 241 case. I also have a 80' 400/205 parts combo. I want to keep the 4spd but swap in the 205.

It's my understanding that the 4spd has a 32 spline tailshaft and I know the 205 case has a short female 32 spine input shaft. It appears that the bolt pattern on the 4spd is the older figure "8" pattern. I'm wondering if I had a old style 4spd adapter could I bolt the 205 directly up to the 4spd or will there be modifications?

Has anyone done anything like this?

2. nvrenuf

Bumping it back to the top...

Anybody have any ideas?

3. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Your best bet would be to get the 205 and adapter made for the manual transmission. It should bolt right up. I would imagine that if you were to offer that 205 you have now as a trade, you would get many takers /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hope this helps.

4. nvrenuf

I know that my ('80) 205 is the valueable piece because of the short female 32 spline input shaft. The fact that it's 32 spline (like the '90 4spd) is exactly why I want to try to use it.

My question is will the older 205 with the short female input shaft bolt on to the '90 SM465 using the early ('80) style 4spd adapter? Will the length of the trans tailshaft be correct?

5. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

As to the length, I doubt it. IIRC, the manual version used a male input on the transfer case, with a sleeve connecting the two. As such, the adapter would be substantially longer than the adapter for the female input automatic version, since the output of the tranny directly engaged the transfercase in the auto version. Unless you can find a way to make the ass-end of your manual look like a TH400, I kind of doubt you could make this work. I of course defer to others who may know more than I about this, but I think I am correct.

6. nvrenuf

Starting in '85 the 4spd / 205 combos not longer had the 10 spline setup using the sleeve. From this point on the 4spd had a long 32 spline tailshaft (splined like a TH400) and the 205 had a female input shaft. My understanding is that the difference between the 4spd and TH400 female input applications is the length of the 205 input shaft (ref : Off Road Design web site 205 tech article). I know the later stuff used a shorter adapter with the longer female input. That's why I'm wondering if the older longer adapter will work with the short style female input.