Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping 205 transfer case in place of a 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Nov 30, 2003.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Looking to swap in a 205 transfer case behind a turbo 400, and got some questions. Is a 205 shorter than a 203? Do they use the same crossmember. Will my existing driveshafts work or will they need to be lengthened or shortened. Thanks!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 205 is shorter than the 203.
    Not sure about the crossmember.
    Driveshafts will need to be redone.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    You realize that the TH400's tailshaft needs to be swapped out...right?

Again, not sure about the crossmember, but you will need to change your driveshafts, shifting linkage etc. Also the particular NP205 and adaptor housing you need is fairly rare.

I would save the time and hassle, simply fiind the correct NP205, and go dual transfer case. you keep the same factory adaptors, the driveshafts will probably fit, and you dont need to hunt down half of the rare stuff. Theres ORD, WMS, and a guy on the PBB (he does it cheapest) who can outfit somthing like this for you. Not to mention you wont have to rip the trany apart.

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

So the th400 tailshaft needs to be swapped out? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Even if the 205 came out of a truck with a th400 and I have the adapter? I know a guy who is selling the 205, just trying to find out what else I may need that I haven't thought of. Thanks!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, it does. The shaft stickout lengths are different for TH 400s based on what 'case they came with.

6. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I swapped them on my k10 with a th350. You need to shorten the front shaft and lengthen the rear shaft. You'll need to measure your self to find the right lengths cause each truck is different. As far as the crossmember goes it bolted back in the same place in my truck. Id recommend you rent a semi-tranny jack from your local rental store. Its big and has steel triangles that are adjustable so you can position it easier. That 205 is not easy to hold up with your hands. good luck