Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping 74 body (rust) to newer 92-96??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zepplin, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Been quite a while since I posted on here. Started browsing on here back in 2000.

I have searched this site prior to posting this question. I will be quick and to the point. I have a 74 Blazer that has a perfect frame and drivetrain. I have alot of ORD parts, cross over steering, shackle flip, etc...

I love the removeable top and have enjoyed it since 1999. Anyway, I want to keep the frame and components as is but, the body is gone. No way to replace the floor or anything because everything is rotted. (Live in Michigan)

I was kicking around the idea of putting a newer body, 91 and up, on the existing frame. (Getter older and a nice interior would be nice but, still using the H.D. components below.) Has anyone tried or know anybody that has pulled this off? Can fab. or weld with no problem.

Thanks,

Zepplin

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

While you're at it, you can swap your '74 fiberglass top onto the '91 so that you still have the full convertible... just a thought.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I, too, have a '74 but a Jimmy, and would like to put a newer tub on it, too, as the body is total junk now. I was planning to keep the removable top and top half of the windshield frame to graft onto the newer tub if I find one. I still want a full convertible but a newer body, preferrably for the wiring stuff to run TBI.

4. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

That's all you'd have to do, I don't think theres any difference in the body mounting, keep your old body and put the parts for the convert parts on the newer body and bingo. I got an 83 body i'm trying to get rid of for 150 bucks, come pick it up hah.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is an important difference between the 73-77 K5 body tubs and the 78-91 tubs. The corresponding difference can also be found in the frames. The 78-91 era has a footwell behind the front seats and a second set of outboard body mounts. The 77 and older have no footwell, and a pair of inboard mounts coming off a crossmember. The problem is the frame rises up about a foot further back on the newer trucks to accomodate the footwell.

A new body on an older frame means that footwell part will interfere with the frame, and either way you'll have to remake or retro fit the body mounts in that area. It may just take channeling that part of the floor so it drops down and clears the frame...

I did the reverse, '73 tub on an '81 frame...which by comparison is a ton easier. I still had to build the body mount supports for that area though.

I'd second keeping the full top and W/S frame and grafting it onto the newer tub. It's not that hard of a job and the full top is just that much cooler IMO.

BTW, welcome back d00d, i still remember you from back in 2000...in fact I seem to recall buying some old green seatbelts from you. :D

Rene

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

I think he wants to put the new body style on his frame, the 91 and up, like 91-96 style, that is how I read it.

7. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Oh, well in that case, he should have posted "'92-'96", because he confused the majority of us.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I missed that also...should probably have read '92 up as the 91 was still the K5 we all know and love.

I think the wheelbase is longer on the 92 up Blazers, less rear overhang. Might need to push the rear diff back a little as well as do some major re-configuring of the body mounts and stuff.

Rene

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the confusion. I changed the subject line.

I was thinking how difficult it would be to put a 92-96 body on my 74 frame.
    My wheelbase is streched 2 inches from the zero rates I put on. I have been meaning to measure someones wheelbase on the newer style. It seems like I am seeing this body style everywhere I turn!

I do love the convert top and maybe I'll get the can opener out after I see if the two fit.

Thanks for your replies and tRustyK5 I hope you are wearing your seat belt!

Zepplin

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Any experience with this swap? Trying to narrow my options a bit.

Thanks,

Zepplin

11. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

from looking at the newer frames i belive that the rear body mounts are simmlar but the front part is going to be a lot different becasue of the IFS that was on the newer trucks, Im sure it can be done it is just going to be a lot of work, and if you want to use your top that is going ot require some major mods to the truck because they newer ones did not have a removable top at all, so you will have to cut it and put in bedrails and figure out how to hook it up to the a pillars