Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping a 12 bolt for a 14 bolt ff, whats needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KevinsK5, Mar 4, 2006.

1. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When swapping a 14ff in place of a 12 bolt, what needs to be corrected as far as driveshaft and brakes? The truck is a 77 Blazer with a 205 T-case and a 4" lift. I was hoping to use the stock driveshaft with an adapter U-joint. Thanks, Kevin

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you did a search you would find a ton of info on this.

Anyways, you'll need the right size U-bolts, spring plates, and the conversion joint. As far as I know everything else should bolt right up. Also make sure your 14 bolt is out of a 3/4 ton, if it's out of a 1 ton you'll have to move the spring perches. If it's out of a 2wd I think you have to move the shock mounts to the opposite sides too. :D

Rick

3. KevinsK5

When I did my searches on this topic I typed in "14 bolt install" or "14 bolt swap" and those came up with like 500 matches. I only looked through 4 or 5 pages worth of threads, but none of the threads were what I was looking for. Even adding words to to the search to make it more specific didn't help, instead of 500 matches I got 300 to sift through. I thought it would be easier and faster to just post up here so I did. I bet members are just tired of answering questions that are asked over and over again. Oh well. Thanks for the reply Rick. Kevin

4. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What kind O gears U got in that twelve bolt? What are U doing with the Twelve?

5. KevinsK5

TDAWG, I've got two 12 bolts complete drum to drum both with 3.73's ones a factory posi ones open. I'd sell both of them so if you're interested call me at 303-663-9154 I'll be home all day tomorrow. Kevin

6. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Whe i did my swap from a 10bolt to a 14 bolt, i found some info on pirate 4x4 that was very helpful. Im not sure but the 14 might be longer than the 12 on input side, so not sure how that will affect your driveshaft length. I found my the sping plates at wrecking yard and with a little hunting found some that would fit the 14 bolt with bolts pointiong upward and spring plates on top of the axle.I just had the u-bolt custom made for about $65.

7. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How much are U askin I allready have a 12b I just need some inards.

8. KevinsK5

12 bolt

How about $100 for the complete posi rearend? If that sounds too steep let me know I'll nego with ya. Thanks, Kevin