Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a 14FF locker

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Roostr84, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I have done some research into swappingout the 14 bolt ff eaton locker, and the majority seems to say that it can't be swapped with a detroit or other type of limited slip due to differences in the case etc. Can anyone verify what is, in fact different, between a rear equiped with a factory locker and one that is not so equiped.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The carrier for each is completely different. The factory posi uses 3 spider gears, spaced at 120 degree intervals, while an open diff uses 4, spaced at 90 degree intervals. You have to get the carrier for an open diff to install a Detroit Locker into. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif To my knowledge, there are no other limited slips available for the 14 bolt FF. Your choices are the factory posi/locker, Detroit Locker, or PowerTrax Locker.

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah I had just been thinking about that eaton posi/electric locker. I think my current locker is on the way out now so I guess I should start looking for a new open axle then. Thanks for the details Harry

4. HarryH3

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a version of the electric lockers for a 10.5 inch ring gear 14 bolt FF. They'll most likely build one for the 9.5 inch ring gear 14 bolt SF first. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Hey Harry just wanted to let you know I was in touch with a distributor and they already have a 9.5 inch unit available. Said maybe next fall for the 10.5

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Harry just wanted to let you know I was in touch with a distributor and they already have a 9.5 inch unit available. Said maybe next fall for the 10.5

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. I think a junkyard would get you a carrier for a decent price. To get my 4.56 and down carrier, I ended up going to Boyce equipment.

7. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Said maybe next fall for the 10.5

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'll believe it when I see it. ARB told me the same thing about their air locker.... In 1993!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They tell everyone who asks "We'll have it next year". /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah I hear ya... I am just passing on what they said. I have line on a 14FF with a detroit in it and 4.10's though so I think I may pursue that. Thanks fella's