Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a 203 for a 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smokin z28, May 25, 2004.

1. smokin z28

smokin z28 Newbie

Im kinda new to the offroading scene so bear with me. My friend has a 73 K5 with a TH350 and an NP203. He bought a used Np205 with a th350 adapter. All the info we got before starting said it would bolt straight in, but it doesn't. The side mount taht bolts to the frame is too far back(3-4") and the holes in the crossmember are too far apart to bolt to the adapter. We need to get this thing in there so he can measure and order driveshafts. Should we just drill holes in the frame/crossmember to make it fit or is there something we're overlooking? Thanks for any help.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I just switched from a th350/npp203 to a sm465/np205. The adapter lined right up with the old crossmember. The holes on the adapter were different, but the crossmember was slotted, so I just had to slide the mounts over. I think they're all supposed to be the same regardless of tranny or t-case, within a certain range of years. Maybe the one you're putting in is too old or too new, depending on what you have. I would try looking at the crossmember from what ever it came out of. What's the difference in the years?

3. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

the cross memeber should be slotted or drilled for the np205...

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    it IS slotted, not should be!

It'll work!!