Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWAPPING A 3.4L FOR A PUNY 2.8L

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by ANTH, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ANTH

ANTH Newbie

Does anyone have any information about swapping a 3.4l for a 2.8l in an 87 jimmy with TBI. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

a bunch of info on www.s10-4x4.org also.

i have done the swap myself,and enjoying every minute of
    it. still need to get the 4.3 injectors though, for more power.i did a write up on it of you want a copy , pm me.

4. V6_Zuki

V6_Zuki Registered Member

Could you send me a copy of that write up you got? e-mail it to fireman131@earthlink.net Would be nice to get a few more HP /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. tlbob

tlbob Registered Member

why dont you go for a 4.3 or a small block its about the same amount of work and takes less money for the small block than for the 3.4 go to jags that run .com or advanced adapters makes all the mounts you could ever need

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

To put in a 4.3 or V8 you would need:
    -Conversion mounts
    -90degree trans
    -New Exhaust
    -All new acc. brackets (and maybe some new accessories as well).

In CA you would also have to take it to a Smog Referee and have it approved.

Or you could just swap out the 2.8 for a 3.4...

7. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have any information about swapping a 3.4l for a 2.8l in an 87 jimmy with TBI. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember what year the 3.4L came out, but I'd bet that the 3.4L/Auto combo has a computer controlled trans that might be an issue. If possible, I would suggest getting at least the computer from a manual car.

The 3.4L is a good alternative to the V8 (although I will always encourage a V8 in an S10... one of the coolest vehicles I've ever owned...) because of all the similarities with the 2.8L. You are also much less likely to blow up your trans/tcase/diffs with the 3.4L.

Someone already eluded to the fact that the 3.4L has the same transmission bellhousing pattern as the 2.8L, will accept the same exhaust manifolds, and uses the same motor mounts. (Although you will have to get a rear wheel drive 3.4L engine out of a Camaro, as I seem to recall that the front wheel drive versions don't have the motor mount bosses drilled?)

Cooling is another problem that you won't have to deal with if you do a 3.4L... Your 2.8L radiator should do the trick.

But just for the record, even though it's more work and probably more expensive, I promise that you'll never regret doing a V8 S10.

I am mostly spouting from memory on all of the above, but as someone else suggested I recommend www.jagsthatrun.com for more reliable and up to date info. Their S10 motor swap book (it might even be their V8 swap book that has the info on the 2.8L MFI and 3.4L swaps...) is worth every penny of the $25 or $30 they ask for it.

Good Luck!

Sal

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

BIGGIE'''' The 3.4 is internally balanced, the 2.8 is external balance---must use correct flexplate or flywheel'GM markets a 3.4 HO crate motor just for this swap.I got a used 95 Camaro 3.4 for $450 and put it in my Cherokee in place of the 2.8, more power and better gas mileage perfect.