Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a 79 Fffford D-60 into an 81 Blazer with a 2003 5.3L, 4l60E, etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grendel, Sep 17, 2003.

1. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Anything I need to know about?

I am doing this to match the late model 2003 Sierra T-case I bought with the engine and tranny.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Swapping a 79 Fffford D-60 into an 81 Blazer

just about did the same swap myself, you need to relocate the spring perches more than likely and the shockmounts, a conversion u-joint and some 8 lug rims and you're set to go....

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just about did the same swap myself, you need to relocate the spring perches more than likely and the shockmounts, a conversion u-joint and some 8 lug rims and you're set to go....

[/ QUOTE ]

yes and no. if its a front, bolt it in. get a conversion U-joint and rims and you are done. SHOULDNT be any steering mods if you already have crossover.

just the transfrecase. you will need a ford transfercase. PM me, i have a few parts you may want, and i want a few parts you may have.
    Grant

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The '79 Ford had the right spacing for your frame and the right drop for your '03 case. My guess is you will have more issues getting the trans to work than the Ford D60. I'm just curious, what case you will be using?

5. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

That's a good question. I bought the t-case that came with the Sierra, but I am begining to think about a late model Chevy NP241. I don't know what the t-case is until it gets here (tomorrow). I think it may be a push button t-case which won't work for me.

I am going to build new driveshafts with 1410 or 1430 ujoints, so I'll NOT be using a conversion joint.

I am swapping a 14B into the rear, getting ready to disk it. I guess I forgot to say this was a front. I'll be using the Ford cross over steering to the existing 81 steering box.

6. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Why do you think I'll have issues getting the trans to work?

I have the harness. I was thinking that Speartech would be the way to go to repogram the ECM and cut out the crap I don't need.

What worries me is the t-case! I don't know if it's a full time optioned, push button jobbie or not.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when it gets here. Just in case, I've been looking out for lever switched NV271 and NV241's. Already have a NP203 and adapter. The 2nd Gen doubler should work for this set up. Would give me a nice 4.72 t-case ratio with a nice option of just 2.72.

Running 4.10's in the diff with 36" tires.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Trans shouldn't be an issue as long as the harness stays intact, right?

The problem I see is perhaps the t-case, which you will have to see before making a decision. I'd be willing to bet (like the later 241's) that the VSS is part of the t-case, and probably for '96=later, the VSS signal is different than the pre-'96 stuff.

Just a small bump in the road, should be workable. Good luck with the swap, there seems to be very little to go off of, information wise, with the later drivetrain swaps.

8. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Well, i'll take lots of pictures!

Also, VSS can be part of the speedo output on the later 241's. Not sure where the VSS is on this set up. I've been told it's part of the tranny.

9. dyeager535

VSS output IS the speedo output in electric speedo setups...it's what monitors the output shaft speed.

VSS HAS to be from the last component of the drivetrain *before* the axle...if it wasn't, when you switched the output ratio by using 4 low, the sensed vehicle speed would be way off. This is why 4wd setups use VSS from the t-case, and why VSS is used from the tranny in 2wd applications.

10. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought, for the speedo cluster schtuff. The reluctor ring hangs out in the t-case on my jobbie. It was a half a$$ed way referring to the ability to swap out VSS if the later stuff uses a different pulse rate.
    Got it today: it's an NV246. I need to get a shifter style t-case.

How about this: Instead of shipping me a 5.3L, they shipped an 8.1L!!! They did give me a 4L60E, which won't hold up. What would you do?

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The 4L60 or 80 will need a computer to work, your 84 won't run it. W/ the donor harness and an aftermarket computer I don't think you will have problems. I was saying (meaning, anyway) that swapping a '78-79 Ford D60 under the front would be easier than figguring out details like what box to use for this & that. Is the 246 Autotrack or the push button version of the 241?

12. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

I have the factory computer, sending it out to be re-programmed.

246 is the Autotrack and it's pushbutton

13. dyeager535

You've got a LOT of work to do if you ask me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dunno what I'd do. Either try and make it work, or sell the 8.1 for as much money as you can get, and then go with the 5.3 or whatever you originally wanted.

The computerized stuff just gets real technical, and takes some time to work out. Not much on advice though, a LOT of variables you have to work through now!

14. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Building it is part of the fun.

I am looking for the company to re-do the wiring harness and computer now.