Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a cady 500 behind a sm465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coloradoblazers, Aug 24, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I talked with the owner of MTS to day, and he helped me a great deal. After picking his brains for a while he asked me what tranny I would use behind the engine. I asked him if my SM465 would work. He indicated to me it would not be easy, nor cheap to do, because the 500 was never made with a manuel tranny behind it. MTS makes a custom ground flywheel that would help, but I would still need to fabricate and adjust the clutch likage etc. My question is has anyone done the Cadallic 472/500 swap to work with a manuel tranmission. I am sure I need to contact Advance Adapters as well, but just courious on what I could turn up here. I would also like to thank Al of MTS(www.500cid.com) for his insight & time, he helped answer a few ?'s and get me thinking.
    Thanks, Jake

2. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

AL is a great guy and provided me with all the information I needed to swap in my 500. I've never heard of anyone using a manual tranny and if Al didn't have any information I doubt anyone does. The only other people I can think of that might have some information is http://www.cad500parts.com/.

3. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

you need a buick/olds/pontiac bellhousing, a flywheel from mts or other source and you need to drill a hole in the end of the crank for a pilot bushing.

deck

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I was gonne add the same response last night but thought it sounded kinda foolish.
    what BOPC engine came with a 465 behind it?
    make the 465 bell kinda hard to find
    a 420 would bolt up but who would want that relic as you would be into adapters for huge $$$ most likely
    guess you could have the BOPC bell bored to the 5.125 index and redrill the bolt pattern

5. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    you could have the BOPC bell bored to the 5.125 index and redrill the bolt pattern

[/ QUOTE ] forgot to add that part.

deck

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Or you could use a Chevy bellhousing designed for the 465 and a adapter plate to bolt the bellhousing to the Cad engine. Adapter is $75. Still need hole bored in crankshaft for pilot bearing. Flywheel can also be Chevy, just re-balanced to Cad specs. A good machine shop that does engine balancing can accomplish this.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

shoot a link to the adapter
    I know it is a common piece for auto guys but was uncertain if it was munual useable
    wow you are just down the street from here