Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a D44/10B in place of a D60...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Dec 27, 2006.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...and bleeding brakes while leaving the K30 hydroboost stuff alone.

Looking at removing a DRW D60 front out of a truck I've got and slapping a D44 or 10B, whichever I can find first, under it to resell it back out.

I did this once to the old Brown Turd I had years ago but didn't have enough time to fully go thru the brakes after I swapped a D44 in it since the new owner wanted the truck right away and said he would mess with the brakes.
    At that time when I got done swapping, I did a quick bleed and the pedal was still spongy even after bleeding over and over again. The new owner showed up and wanted to take it, so, I let it go.

Fast forward to today. I've got a 160-something inch wheelbase 12' flatbed K30 and want to keep the D60 since no one wants to pay what I'm asking for the whole truck so I might as well keep the best thing about it and sell it for less.
    I don't want to do the spongy brake thing again, so, what have you guys done about brakes as far as leaving the stock hydroboost stuff alone after swapping in a D44/10B? I'm almost guessing "power bleeding" is gonna be the answer here but anything else? :confused:

2. thatK30guy

BTW, how much of a spacer will I need to fit on the D44/10B to be able to use the stock dually wheels? I don't wanna use stock steelies, so the dually rims stay but I need to get spacers.

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

while SRW d60s are 69.5" wide, i believe DRW are 75 or 76" wide. that would mean a 2.5-3" spacer on each side.

there are a lot of ways to bleed. what have you tried so far?

4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

should be able to get a spacer from the front of a 93 or so 1ton dually 4x4. I've heard it bolts right on.
    as far as bleeding, I always run a rubber line into a can with a little brake fluid in the bottom to cover the end of the hose, and then pump away slowly. works great.

5. thatK30guy

Haven't done the swap yet. Thinking about doing it. Just trying to gather info before jumping into it again.

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I did one about 3 months ago. I have a mitivac and no problems with bleeding. How much you wanting for the 12' flatbed K30?

7. thatK30guy

With or without the D60? Lets take this to PM's.....