Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping a hei dist into a ccc blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Aug 21, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I want to get rid of my computer control carb and dist. I yanked the carb and put on my truck advenger but I need to know if there is anything special I need to do, or can I just drop a dist. in, also what about getting a full 12 volts, just get it from the distribution block on the fire wall?

any help is greatly needed, thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All you do is use the regular HEI and the power in on said distributor is same as other one . I removed my ESC distributor and put in one for a 76 V-8 Nova . Actually I was looking at my old one yesterday , and without removing the disutributor you could just remove the computer plug stuff from old one and swap in regular module and harness ( the parts under rotor ) , and also vacuum can if you needed one . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually I was looking at my old one yesterday , and without removing the disutributor you could just remove the computer plug stuff from old one and swap in regular module and harness ( the parts under rotor ) , and also vacuum can if you needed one .

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe even the early computer controlled distributors did not use mechanical advance weights so you can't just change the module and wiring.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe even the early computer controlled distributors did not use mechanical advance weights so you can't just change the module and wiring.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 83 , which had ESC but no CCC Carb , has the weatherpack connector for the spark computer , and mechanical weights and vacuum can . Dunno if it was because mine was early or not /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

CCC uses no weights (same idea as fuel injected distributors) while the ESC distributors CAN be converted to "normal" HEI distributors.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just dropped on an edel Q-jet and an old HEI dist, hooked it all up, and roll /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifed.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

theres no real rule of thumb on this,.

80 was first year for EST,

EST is what it was called til around 85 then ESC came out

ESC is a little more involved of a system than EST was,

both have pretty much all the same components and look to them,

the HEI 80-up were varied, some had vacuum and weights, some had one or the other only, and others had neither,

and yes the ones with the extra four wire weatherpack plug yep

ive seen all combos

the rule of thumb that says that if its got vacuum on it then its a non ECM controlled HEI is not true completely in some cases, GM was odd like this,

there are ECM HEI's with vacuum out there ive seen them i just throw them away though

swapping to non ECM HEI is nothing at all, no mods to be done, just swap and plug back in and ignore the four wire ECM plug, its cake walk,
    id set engine to #1 firing postion TDC first though before removign the ECM HEI

then all you gotta do is swap on a non ECM carb too and then youre all done pretty much

non ECM carb be found on 80 and older and also on 80-up 8600 and up GVW trucks

80-up cars all models had ECM HEI thanks to their lower GVW

lower GVW always got the most emissions crap

in 80 i think some of the BIG 10 didnt get the EST system and could be liek that with 6200+ GVW

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There is no such thing as ECM controlled timing only. Either it has the ECM, (which means MAP, TPS, MCS, O2) or it has the spark timing computer. ECM=CCC, EST=module.

You will NOT find a CCC vehicle (truck or car) that has anything other than ECM controlled spark advance. No weights, no vacuum, solely computer controlled, just like TBI/TPI.