Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a late model motor into a first gen?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stroked72Blazer, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

If I swap a late model Vortec motor into my firs gen do I need to use the transfer case or can I keep my 205? I have found a possible deal on a 2000 5.3 liter with the transmission and transfer case but don't want a gear driven transfer case. I know the transmision sends readings to the computer but does the transfer case do the same?

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i want to say the only thing off the transfer is the speedo and the switch for the engaged lihght.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The new t-case should be driverside frontaxle output not the passanger like you 1st. gen is....

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If the tranny your putting in has an adapter that bolts to a 205 then sure but if no adapter then no workiee /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Also the tranny output shaft must be splined the same as the 205 and the right length to gothru the adapter.

You could just use the engine and your old tranny??

I would research more..by the time you spend 'time & money' on making this work you may have been able to do someting else that is a better 'fit' for your rig.
    Jump over to the First Gen fourm and ask the fellas there for opinions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    .02c
    Good Luck