Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a tailpan...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jul 20, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

without dropping the fuel tank is a PITA but can be done.

Spent 8 hours last night removing my old trail and wreck damaged tailpan and swapping in a new one. Wheeling lower Helldorado last October without a tailgate or topper finished the old one off. By the time I tried to put my tailgate back on to go home the bedsides had spread 1-2".

For those that haven't done it, it is an ugly job with almost nothing to show for it after. The only cool thing is a tailgate that opens and closes nicely again and the body looks 'straighter' and more level than it did.

I got a couple of pic's of the old tailpan before I removed it, but no 'during or after' pic's (battery issues with camera /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)

Old tailpan, bent down and kinked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New tailpan in.

[​IMG]

Rene

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Thats a good lookin tailpan /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I done the full floor replacement in the DD, we had the bed pulled apart 6-8" because we couldn't tip it up and slide it under. Yeah you can't see what you've done after its done but it definatly is nice having that piece of mind and a tailgate that works! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya really, isn't it supposed to be like that?
    Nice work as always, the tailgate sure is handy. Missed I'm sure when its not there too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ahh, so you decided to finally get off the couch and be productive, eh?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif J/K Nice work Rene! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif (yea, yea, yea, I know... at least your junk runs! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

5. tRustyK5

I'm on a 2 week shut-down at work, but have keys and permission to use the shop. Long story short...the 15 ton overhead crane, forklift, air tools etc etc helped a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

The back half of my truck had the bedsides and tailpan replaced at some point and instead of using the 4 bolts on each side they welded parts of it to the bedside...I ended up using the air chisel which was a last resort. It made things more difficult later. The drivers side ended up damaged enough that I had to weld it too, the passenger side I had better luck and was able to utilize the bolts.

This was a job I needed to get done before building my cage, because if I didn't the cage would hold the body permanently crooked which would suck.

Thanks for the great deal on the tailpan Jeremy, that thing was as close to brand new as it gets!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

6. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Ahh, so you decided to finally get off the couch and be productive, eh?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif J/K Nice work Rene! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif (yea, yea, yea, I know... at least your junk runs! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot easier to be productive when I don't have to work as well.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tonight I'm going in again. Probably do several small projects like get the doors set properly. I have a few small repairs that should be done, I might even install some rock lights.

Our tubing should be in by Wednesday I hope, then it's bumpers and rollcages. Some people go places on their vacation...can you believe that? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

7. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya really, isn't it supposed to be like that?
    Nice work as always, the tailgate sure is handy. Missed I'm sure when its not there too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty annoying and not very useful when you can't open the tailgate. I had to use a come along at the slick rock to pull my bedsides in far enough to get the tailgate to latch again. Even then it jammed hard under the topper...

So this isn't the most visible repair I've ever done, but it's something I definitely appreciate.

Rene

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Some people go places on their vacation...can you believe that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea I know. What are they thinking??

Sounds like lemonade from lemons Rene! Some uninterrupted time with the truck - very cool. Looking forward to seeing how you do the cage. Can you use the stuff in the shop anytime you want?

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks SWEET!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I need to do that to mine too!!!

Did you use angle??

10. tRustyK5

I used a replacement tailpan that I bought from Jeremy about 6 months ago.

Pam, I can use the shop almost anytime although they don't really want me there during the day. I'm used to working afternoon shift anyways so I get started about 5 pm and work until I'm done.

rene