Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a Turbo 400/205 in for the old SM465/205, what do I need to do?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Oct 16, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys,

I have had it trying to solve my clutch linkage problem with the 1990 Corvette engine I bought so I am getting rid of the SM465/205 and I am going slush-box. I just found a Turbo 400 and 205 set up form a 1 ton. I am buying the whole set up to put into my 1/2 ton 1972 Blazer. What parts am I going to need to strip out of the donor truck? Can I use my transfer case shifter (also an NP 205) on the new transfer case? What about my drive shafts, what am I going to have to do to make the whole thing fit?
    Thanks for your input,

Rod

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Is the new TC a slip rear or flange rear?

3. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Here's what I did to swapover to a 700r4 setup in my 72 I used to have a 465/205 setup, but now I got a 700r4/205 setup in my rig. Basically the first thing I did was measure the difference in length of the two transmissions from the bellhousing all the way to the end of the adapter mating to the t/c the difference was exactly 2in longer for the a/t, so instead of buying new driveshafts and all that... I went ahead and moved the engine forward on the frame rails two inches and you might already have some holes already drilled, but the only mods I had to do afterwards was cut the shroud shorten the fuel pump line and adjust the throttle linkage by using an aftermarket bracket. I was able to bolt the transfer back in its original spot being able to use the same hardware, shifter and driveshafts. I think there were some other minor things that come up, but like I said I mean minor... other than needing a shifter for the tranny itself.
    -James

4. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of going from 465/205 to 350/205. I had the 350 rebuilt and got a rebuilt Torque converter (hd). I bought a B&M Truck Megashifter. I got new energy suspension tranny mounts, I will have to get a trans cooler of some sort.
    I will put it all in this week. I will let you know what problems I run into.