Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping a used Detroit locker... am I missing the "retainer bolt"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 27, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Swapping a used Detroit locker... am I missing the \"retainer bolt\"?

I already did a search, but only found how to install a new locker. I have a locker in a 14FF 4.10 carrier I just got, and want to swap it into a 4.56 carrier I have. (I was told this is interchangable).

The thing is, on all the Detroit installs I've read about, there is something about a retaining bolt that must be kept in until the carrier is re-assembled. Since the Detroit I have is already installed, Im assuming the retainer bold is long gone, so I'm hesitant about pulling anything apart until I talk with someone who has more experience.

Anyone know how I should proceed? Or should I shut up and perform a better search?

*Ok, I looked at some more pictures I found, and seems like I should be able to make something that will keep it sandwiched together before I pull it apart* But any tips might be helpful. Thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Swapping a used Detroit locker... am I missing the \"retainer bolt\"?

The retainer bolt is just a long bolt with a fender washer at each end. Slip it through the center of the diff and snug down the nut. The washers need to be just big enough to hold the side drivers in place. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What Harry said. It is a LONG bolt with fender washers that have an OD that JUST fit inside the splined area of the carrier and a wing not to hold it all together...

Chris

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I almost got ahead of myself earlier and thought about separating the carrier, but I figured Id better do a bit of research first. Glad I did, or I'd have probably had locker parts flying all over the place. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I feel better having it now verified as to what I need to do. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And thanks to Don also, who lives here in town and has the bolt and washers I need from when he installed his. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just get yourself some threaded rod, two fender washers, and two nuts.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a used Detroit too just remember how it was together (very important) Then like the other guys said get some threaded rod and some washers, or a friend. I did it without the retaining rod just had a friend help. Little bit harder this way but if you are careful you can get it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a bunch of those bolts leftover from DL installs in 14FF's I've built in the past. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif