Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping Cabs on 2wd trucks and Power Brake Conversion Qs?UPDATE!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Aug 5, 2004.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Any tips when swapping Cabs on my 1970 cab?
    I also want to add power brakes. What do I need to watch out for. ANy particular parts I'll need, perhaps a parts list? ANy help is greatly appreciated. My experience with these trucks is quite limited. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

Re: Swapping Cabs on 2wd trucks and Power Brake Conversion Qs?

cab swap is easy! 4 bolts. i had power brakes on my 67 2wheel drive drums up front though. i used a 71 booster but had to change the bracket it was different on the 71 /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

on the power brakes there is sometimes differences between like half ton and one ton boosters..the line size is different and the part that screws into the portioning valve. Either get a costom line or /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif braize the two lines together... I did on a 2wd hotrod truck Worked great. Cab swap is easy... heavy on pass side cuz the heater core.... But easy... 4 guys and some beer

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just find a 67-72 booster setup with the cage and rods from a 1/2 or 3/4 ton and youll be good to go, but watch out on master cylinder, 71 72 are disc/drum

cabs arent hard, disconenct steering shaft out of column, and emergency park cable and fuel line under cab at frame rail theres a small section of rubber and hose clamps, disconnect wire harness at firewall and unplug the rear lights harness towards center of firewall and the heater core hoses, and accelerator cable if its 71 72, and the master cylinder lines

thats about it unless its an a/c model

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

alright, i got the booster and m/c off of a 71 or 72 3/4ton and swapped it on. The donor also had drums front and rear (so does my truck). The rod needed to be adjusted to bring the brake pedal to a comfortable height. Any ideas why the brake pedal would be so hard to push in? I'm running a vacuum line for the booster to the back of the intake where the tranny vacuum line goes (I still have a two barrel carb and intake). Perhaps not bled enough? Any tips are appreciated, and so are the previous responses. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif