Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping Coils onto a 4 link K5 Rear.. Coil swap info? (New Pic)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Apr 19, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm fabbin up a link suspension for the back end of my 78 K5. I'm going to run coil overs up front but I'd like to run some production vehicles coils in the back for space saving reasons. My initial assumption was to run with Bronco front springs but I'm worried about them being to stiff for the light K5 rear end and possible lack of flex. I'm sure someone has gone down this road so spam me with ideas. I'm looking for soft and flexy!

Or...

Anyone have links to a custom coil shops near SoCal? Bring it on!

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: Swapping Coils onto a 4 link K5 Rear.. Coil swap info?

Not sure of the weight of the Ford engines but what about springs from a 6 cylinder model or from an early Ranger/Bronco2 with the small 2.8/2.9 V6's or even a 4cylinder model.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

i just spotted a pre-runner on the way back from lunch and started thinking the same thing. I can't seem to find any info on spring rates for them and compressed/extended heights. Definately worth researching!

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Mike,

Get a Rancho catalog... in the back they've got all the specifications of their coil springs. length... spring rate... etc.

Marv

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sweet, thanks. I'm headed over to 4WPW and ORW to find one, maybe drool on the bilsteins coil overs I STILL cant afford!

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.stockcarproducts.com/>http://www.stockcarproducts.com/</a>
    I seem to recall these guys selling coils fairly cheap with tons of rates available.
    you could use Bronco springs and mount them on the control arms to decrease their effective rate and increase available travel

7. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

there is a place over in riverside can't remember the name they are right across the street from a steel supply store.

I might be able to get the phone number for them...

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Great info, I mailed them. I'm not going to have much room to mount springs on the control arms but I haven't completely abondoned that idea yet. I'm still in the discovery phase and may have to do that. I'd really like to go coil over but there just isn't enough room withought cutting the rear floor open.

gtkustoms - if you have a number for that riverside shop, I'd be interested. I'm contacting everyone local that I can find. thanks

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Valley Springworks in Dixon can build you whatever you want. 707-678-3944 Also there are tons of coil sprung vehicles in the salvage yards...minivans, Grand Cherokees, did you know a GEO Traker has a factory 3 link coil rearend? It's not applicable...just cool. Deaver Spring also makes some very flexible leaf springs that would be much easier to deal with...714-542-3703 although there not as "cool" as a four link!

10. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

I am not a spring guru of any sort, but what about looking at the older 67-72's? my 69 cst20 has factory colis in it with bolt on overloads...its only a 2wd, but it rides sweet! Might be an avenue worth looking into if you fab it in...lottsa parts vehicles around and all G.M. with the same frame...just an idea.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the numbers, I'm going junk yard scouting today and see what I can find. I found a few people building the same thing over at POR and one which has sent me a wealth of good stuff as well as an adjustable spring plate design.. so this helps quite a bit. A lot of people use the minivan springs which are very long and flexy, but also strip their trucks down to nothin but frame... hmmm. The leaf setups life 1/4 elipt. look ultra heavy for what a coil can provide. Thanks for the info, this is getting interesting.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm posting pics of the design to help others with their work, thought I'd share the locations to CK5 as well. I'll be posting the progress here.

http://echobit.com/catalog1.0.html

I'll have animation up later (I think)

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey mike for the fron of my truck im going to try to use the top factoy leaf as a locator and maybe run coilovers , kevin and i came up with this while looking at his truck cuz he jsut had huge bilsteins fabbed up on his truck 1200 a piece i think just for the shox , bypass design.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats a good idea with the locator leaf. Those bilsteins do well at managing movement, and they are rebuildable. I'm saving for a set for the front, theres plenty of room to route them up there! Nice new toy by the way (I'm Jealous!)

15. RobbieOH

RobbieOH Registered Member

you could also try Grand Cherokee coils, thst what I plan on doing in my blazer

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

national spring in El Cajon ? Dave got a quote for a pair of custom coils for 150 i think .

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I was looking into Cherokee springs, I had a hard time finding info... someone else brought that up too on another post.

National.. didn't even think about them.. and the price is right!

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

one of the pics where you state the anti squat looks good appears to have the IC as infinite.
    what does that give you for antisquat?
    the second design is easy to do the antisquat math if you know your cg hieght

19. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your absolutely right, I have the captions backward. The first one with the dropped crossmember will be the way I go only with the location of the upper mount at the rear end raised up a lot more. This solves the infinate instant center which would have suffered from squat with weight distribution alone. It also makes room for the rear end to twist unlike the design which had a flat crossmember and good anti squat capabilities but whos links would collide at flex. I'm making an animation right now with it in action. I'll post it a bit later. Good eye by the way, thanks.

I edited it, was typing and working and getting dislexic...

20. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

try Hartman Spring and Iron Works
    2804 Main St. in Riverside
    909-683-2011
    its been a while since i have been there.