Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping drive train, need some info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Oct 11, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok im going to try and make this as organized as my lil brain will let me

i currently have a 76 blazer, with 350 motor, tranny and 203 case, i have a dana 44 up front, and 12 bolt rear
    i also have a 86 blazer with 305 1 peice rear main seal, 700R4 and 208 case, with stock 44 up front and 10 bolt rear
    what im wanting to do is drop the 76 motor in the 86, use my springs, axles, and drive shafts, but use the air cond. off the 305 on my 350 10 years older
    what my question is, will the motor swap out ok? and do i need the fly wheel of my 76 since they are diff motors? any electrical probs going to accure? i know my axles and springs will fit no prob, but what about drive shafts? i built a new one for my 203, i will have to do the same for the 208 im guessing right?
    im just needing any info on lil probs i might have? probs i will run across? any info would help

also once i get done, i will have my 76 body for sale, like new 350 turbo tranny, and 203 case, stock axles 44 and 10 bolt with 3:08 gears, no motor, and interior is only seats and everythign else is rhino lined, thanks alot

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1-piece rear main seal motors use a counter-ballanced flexplate so you will have to use a 2-piece rear main seal flexplate for the 350

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

One thing you may want to check is your front axle on the 86. You said it had a stock 44. Anything after 78 1/2 should have came with a 10 bolt front. Mabey somebody swapted it out, or something.

I don't think you'd have any major problem with the swap. Just take everything out of the 76. The axles should swap right over. I'm not sure if the a/c compressor from a 305 is the same as a 350. Somebody on here is sure to know though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

Use all 76 parts (and distib from 76)86 should have the stupid 4 plug distib dont need it.AC brackts shood fit on 350.86 ft axle shood be a GM not 44.

5. purple76pearl

i could be wrong on the 44 under the 86, but that wasnt a main concern, but thanks for the info i will look closer, just wanted to know of anything you all had run across doing a swap like this or just general info always a pluss
    since im swaping the 350 from the 76 to the 86 can i use the flex plate and fly wheel off of it, or will i need a whole new one? and will i have any probs with the 700R4 and that swap? just want to cover all feilds before tearing this all down in a mad weekend, lol thanks guys

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just use your flexplate that is on the 350, it should bolt up to the torque converter on the th700. IMHO, you will really enjoy that 700 if it is in good shape, you will have quicker acceleration because of the lower first gear,and better fuel mileage because of OD. You'll probably like the 208 too because you will be able to crawl better and have more power because of the lower ratio. As for the lock up, you can buy a kit for it but I left mine unplugged when for a while when I unplugged my computer, I have an auxilery cooler so I never had problems with heat, besides th400's and 350's don't have lock up anyway.

7. purple76pearl

you lost me with the lock up comment? what are you talking about? would it be smart to buy a tranny cooler for the 700R4 like i did my 350 when i built the new one?

8. rjfguitar

It would be very smart to buy another cooler, preferably a stacked plate design. Any 80's blazers that has the heavy duty towing package has a cooler in front of the radiator like mine has. Lock up is a feature in later model trannies.
    What it is is a clutch type device inside the torque converter that when engaged locks the onverter with the motor and rest of tranny. This achieves no slippage in the converter which = less heat and better fuel mileage because it then consumes less power called, I think, parasthetic drag. If you use a vaccum advance distributer and ditch the computer controlled one it will cause problems with the computer. I unplugged mine which rendered the lock up function useless. Just like an older 350 or 400 without lockup. It generates more heat and that needs to be delt with.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 700R4 locked fine with the ESC distributor gone. I don't know what you're doing wrong.

10. purple76pearl

ok maybe im on crack, but im not following? the whole lock up thing sorry guys

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    My 700R4 locked fine with the ESC distributor gone. I don't know what you're doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ] I disconnected a few other things also along with the carburater wires,o2 cencer, and ESC ditributor. That is why mine doesn't work.

12. purple76pearl

what do you mean by locked? what does this madness mean lol
    <font color="blue"> &lt; i sofa king we todd it &gt; </font>

13. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

The fourth gear in a 700r4 is acually just a cluch pack in the TC that locks up kind of like a locker in a axle. the esyest way to get around it is to conect the ciloniod to a brake switch so it will lock when you have the skinny pedal down and unlock when the breaks are on.

14. purple76pearl

ok i think you are talking about the tv cable, that needs to be hooked up on the carb? am i right

15. rjfguitar

lol, nope the tv cable controls when the transmission shifts
    gears. Try this go to someplace like www.jetchip.com and read what they say about lock up.

16. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The lock up is a function of the torque converter. On a 700 the converter has a clutch inside it that will physically engage the engine to the transmission. That gives you better gas milage and less heat cause there is no more slippage in the converter.
    This lock up is different than the 4th gear OD. You could be in 4th gear w/o the converter locked up. Confuse ?

17. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The 4th gear is inside the tranny just like the others. The lock up in the torque convertor is a different function. The 700r4 has 5 clutch packs, TH350 has 4.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    The fourth gear in a 700r4 is acually just a cluch pack in the TC that locks up kind of like a locker in a axle. the esyest way to get around it is to conect the ciloniod to a brake switch so it will lock when you have the skinny pedal down and unlock when the breaks are on.

[/ QUOTE ]
    WHAT! a 700 has 5 gears INSIDE the transmission, reverse,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th. I think you are confused that lockup is OD. Lock up is used with OD for the best possible fuel mileage and minimal heat buildup. With aftermarket parts you can use lock up in any gear, When I get a B&amp;M light truck ratchet shifter I am going to order the handle with the 12v button for the lock up so I can just manually activate it in any gear and it will realease when i hit the brakes.

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

do all 700R4 transmissions have this lock up feature? If so how do I know if its working or not?

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

TTT not trying to hijack here but was just curious.