Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping from 3/4 ton to 1 ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Aug 31, 2002.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have a set of m1008 running gear that i am going to put under my 79 k20 what kind of problems am i going to run into i have noticed that the rear shock mounts are in a different location than mine so i know i wil have to move them also i am wanting to go from my 4 inch lift to a 6inch spring lift i know i will need some kind of differnt stering arm also just would like to know what problems any of you had while doing this kind of swap

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Right off hand
    You will have to move the rear spring perches 1 tons are closer together, but you should already have a 14FF in your rear so if the gears are matched to the new front dont bother changing it.
    Your front will sit 1" higher than it does now so you will need to level the rear out to it with a block or taller rear spings.
    Your brake lines will most likely have to be longer because of how they hook up to a 60.
    Depending on the yoke on the 60 you may have to get a conversion U-joint.
    Steering will hook up but with that lift you will need a lift block under the steering arm.
    May have to shorten your front shaft a 60 is about an 1" longer to the yoke than a 44.
    That is all I can think of right now so other guys will probably remember other things that you need as well.
    Good Luck

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

are you sure i am going to have to move my spring perces too? if i am going to have to move the spring perces and shock mounts i might as well leave my rear axle under it and just swap out the ring and pinion instead of swaping out the rear

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes I am positive you will have to move the perchs. Also brake lines are different from a 44 to a 60. The e brake cables will also be different. Your K20 should have one going up each frame rail and the K30 axle the passenger side e brake cable will crossover the pumpkin to the driver side. Your front driveshaft should be fine if your truck is lifted.