Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping from gas to DIESEL

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by SF87K5, Jun 22, 2003.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

tRustyK5 told me to do a search if a TH350 will work with a 6.2L diesel. I only found 2 things and they where both for a TH400.
    Ok I know a th350 will bolt to a 6.2, but will the combo work?
    If not what mods do I have to make or do I need to get a TH400?
    I would appreciate all the help you guys & gals can give me for this swap.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone know??

Rene

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

The cucv engine you thinking about is already plumbed for a vacum controlled tranny so thats not a problem. But some things to think about would be what stall is the torque convertor that you have? a diesel convertor has lower stall speeds, and have heavier duty clutches in them. The govenor will have to be caliprated for the lower rpm of a diesel.

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Rugger,
    Cool thanks for the help. I am going to try to get the converter thats in the cucv from him. If I cant get it I will just buy a new converter.
    I am already going to get my th350 rebuilt and put a RV towing kit in it at least.
    I am hoping to have the diesel by the end of next. month. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rugger,
    Cool thanks for the help. I am going to try to get the converter thats in the cucv from him. If I cant get it I will just buy a new converter.
    I am already going to get my th350 rebuilt and put a RV towing kit in it at least.
    I am hoping to have the diesel by the end of next. month. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are rebuilding the th350 let them know it's going to be behind a diesel, they will make the proper change in the governor and the valve body.
    The convertor I believe you have to get new because last time I checked th350 and th400 convertors are different.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    The diesel convertor comes with 6 tabs instead of 3 to hook up to the flexplate.

Good to see you are on the right track, switching to diesel that is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

imiceman44,
    cool thanks for the heads up on the rebuild and converter.
    I am going diesel cuz I need the low end torque. Plus listening to tRustyK5 and rugger talk about how much torque you can get out of a diesel, I was like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif cool deal. lol

Thanks for everyones help.