Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping from manual to auto tranny....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Nov 27, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My Father in law told me when you go from a manual to an auto tranny there is a bushing or reducer ring that must be removed to allow the bigger transmission shaft to enter the back of the engine.

He said the trick to get it out is to pump the area full of grease and use 6" of a 2" dowel and smack it on the end with a hammer and the force will cause it to pop out.

Does anyone have any experince with this or a picture. I have never changed trannies and or even seen the back of an engine outside of the vehicle :doah:

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm don't think that is correct, once you switch to an auto there is no shaft going into the flywheel, for that matter there is no flywheel, you need to go to a flexplate.... unless I'm missing something I don't understand what he is talking about

3. stallion85

I think he was talkin about where the torque converter goes into? I really don't know and probably sound really stupid :doah:

4. resurrected_jimmy

the torque converter has no shaft to speak of, it is held on to the flexplate with three boltsthere is a small button on the face of the torque converter that lines up with the center of the flexplate but I have never heard of hammering any reducer out for this to fit

Are you talking about hammering this reducer/bushing out of your old flywheel or out of a flexplate for an auto tranny?

5. stallion85

Maybe that is what he met. I could have swore he said on the back of the engine....I will have to ask him again.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the center of the crank is not touched when hooking up an auto. it uses a flex plate with a torque converter bolted to it with 3 bolts. auto to manual yes but not manual to auto. you're free and clear to get to motoring

7. gauder

gauder Banned

I think he's talking about the throwout bushing for a manual.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the throwout bearing would be to be touched when doing a swap. also the method he discribed with the grease and a handle is the "hydro" method of removing a pilot bearing from a crank.

9. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

he must be confused with a ford, i installed a 400m out of a manual truck into an auto truck and the button on the convertor was jammed against the old throwout bearing, i have swapped out many chevy motors before and this has never been an issue......by the way the grease and dowel thing is a real mother f***er a pilot bearing removal tool is the only way to go

10. bornreadyk5

bornreadyk5 Registered Member

If its the pilot bushing ya'll are talkin about....its for the standard tranny. just leave it there. not worth removing if you are swapping to an auto. It wont hurt a thing.

11. resurrected_jimmy

what he said.... just put the flex plate and auto in there and keep on truckin

12. stallion85

Cool, thanks guys. As someone stated above it sparked my memory. He did say it was a the back of the crank.....

I will go ahaead with what you guys said, thanks :D