Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping from tbi to carb tank questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Aug 25, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

if i were toi swap a tbi motor over to a carbed setup, would i need to change the sending unit in the tank over to a carb type w/o fuel pump?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Are you just trying to salvage the sending unit only, or all the lines, filters and stuff ???

unless your going to make a custom electronic fuel pump setup...yes

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

dunno just thinking of converting from tbi to carb. would like to change as little as possible in the event i do swap over. i thought the sending unit would need to be changed to a carb one. but lines and filters need to be swapped too?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well you can run the carb with the TBI, and be fine most likely, since TBI only runs 14 or less PSI, but if you can then yeah swap the sender for a carb one

good luck

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

kinda thought it would be best to run carb sending units and a mech fuel pump like normal on a carb motoer. :D

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If you want to avoid pulling the tank it's fairly easy to make all the existing parts work together. You can add a fuel pressure regulator with a bypass port (Mallory makes one), this will allow you to run the tbi pump/sending unit and a carb'd motor. I've done this on 2 tbi trucks with great success.

Dont get me wrong, there's no real advantage to using the tbi pump - it's just easier and cheaper.