Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping gears that hard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Nov 26, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

a lot of people seem to be doing it latly ....was just wondering exactly how hard it was??

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off some special tools are needed. Then basic knowledge of how gears are set is needed. Obviously all the specs for the axle will be needed

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I just did mine, not that bad but everything kinda fell into place and setup perfectly the first time. It can be kinda a bitch though, I had my journeyman help me set mine up and I'm lucky that we have a hydraulic press with the right bearing cups and he had done a few before. Mine were also used gears so I just used the same amount of shims on the pinion and it laid the exact same pattern down.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You are better of spending a few bucks and have someone that does it all the time do it right.Do it wrong and you will fry your new gears real quick. check out Precision gear.com for some info

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well, id probobly just go find a pair of 3/4 tons or better with the right gears in them..

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Considering how long it took you to figure out how to properly install new plug wires on a 4-cylinder engine, I would say that you are definitely NOT ready to do a gear swap. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hah gee thanx /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..im not that much of a dumb arse..its just that the only trucks i usually ever work on are chevies..(meaning like mine, full size ones) i had no clue how they were set up on s-10s, and the stupid haynes manual just tells you were 1 is at, of course if i had payed closer attention befor hand to what wires went were befor i messed with it.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif