Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nkldrgr, Mar 9, 2005.

1. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

Now that I bought my dana 60 F with 4.10s, I need to swap the 3.73 out of my 14 bolt ff. Is that hard to do??? I am thinking about buying a whole carrier and pinion support and just replacing the whole thing. I have never done gears before, so I don't know how well that will work. How tough is it to change 14 bolt gears? Got a set of 4.10s?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Not to sound like a jerk, but if you have to ask about changing gears then it probably isn't a job for you to do. I have read how to do it several times, yet I have never attempted it yet.

3. nkldrgr

You didn't sound like a jerk. I am a master mechanic with patches and all, but I have never swapped gears in a 14 bolt FF. I don't work for a shop that has all the tools that I'm used to using when swapping gears. I guess my question really is: If I find a set of 410s on a carrier and a pinion with a support, can I bolt them straight in? Will that be close enough, or will the backlash be wrong?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're trying to tell me that you're an ASE certified mechanic and you don't know how to check backlash in an axle? I find that hard to believe.

5. nkldrgr

its not a matter of checking backlash...i am wondering if "plug and play" with a used setup. If not, then I will take the time to just do a whole new setup. I have gone the used route with Dana 44 axles, but never even touched gears in a 14 bolt. Not to say that I couldn't figure it out, just hoped someone had done it before. Thats all.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I did my fist set of gears last fall out of the d44, spider gears were trashed and the pieces left over tore up the ring and pinion gears. I needed bearing pullers a 4ft cheater bar. dial indicator, bearing press, time and patience. It took me about 6 hours but I was EXTREMELY carefull about doing it. Randy's ring and Pinion sells a video that demonstrates how to change them out. With the time and money I spent I could have had a pro do it, but now I have all of the tools myself and I am able to change them out any time I need to, as well as my buddies trucks, bartering skills is a good thing about 4 wheeling.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Find a 14ff with 4:10s in it.. Pay no more then 150-200 bucks for it.. Plug and play.

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Best way really.