Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping guages?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BadK-30, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

would i be able to swap to a newer style guages rather then the ones i have? im not to sure on what years have what. basicly the first picture is what i have and the 2nd is what i want with the quartz clock.

thanks in advanced guys!

mine.jpg

want.jpg

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes you can, you will be doing a fair amount of rewiring, and would want both clusters. Need the oil pressure and coolant temp senders from a gauge application.

Forget about the Quartz clock, get a stock digital radio if you want a clock, because the quartz ones are pieces of junk that hung on way too long. They fail quite often.

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

you have any pics of the digitals? i have never seen them

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just look for any of the early 80's GM car radios. "Twin post", one on each side, so they fit the truck as stock, but have digital display. This is if you want to keep from hacking the dash up.

And as a matter of fact, I do have photos:
    http://dyeager535.topcities.com/frankentruckpics.html Will take awhile to load if dialup, but there is one shot of the AM/FM/Tape/CB digital radio (out of high end GM cars of that vintage) there.

Later R/V trucks ('88 or so?) went with the more standard mid-late 80's GM digital radio pattern with the tune/volume posts on the same side. I didn't want to hack my dash, so the above radio was my solution. Besides, now with an iPod tape adapter I don't need to worry about a fancy radio anyways. :)

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ahh cool thanks, i thought this would be not a popular swap, but the more i think about it, the more it makes sense. guess i should have searched a bit more.