Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWAPPING IFS TO SOLID AXLE ON A 93 BLAZER

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slickster, Mar 19, 2004.

1. slickster

slickster Registered Member

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS ON A NEWER TRUCK LIKE MINE? I WANT THIS SILLY IFS OUT OF MY TRUCK BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT TAKES TO CONVERT TO SOLID AXLE. DO YOU HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE STOCK COMPUTER? PLEASE TELL ME OF MY MAJOR OBSTACLES IN DOING IT?
    ALSO, I HAVE A HALF TON REAR AXLE IN THE TRUCK RIGHT NOW WHAT KIND OF FRONT END SHOULD I LOOK FOR TO MATCH IT? WHERE CAN I LOOK FOR ONE? THANKS A TON, SHANE
    PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANSWERS AT wellss@nu.com /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

shane, welcome to ck5, please turn your caps lock off, its considered rude, like you're yelling..

anyways its a pretty straightforward swap.. there's companies that make all the parts to swap it in, i say if you are considering going over 35" tires to go ahead and get a dana 60 front end and a 14bff rear.. but thats just me..

3. slickster

Where can I look for a kit? Who makes them and thanks a ton! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/new/parts/parts_inside_index.html
    You do need axles , brakes , springs , etc. They supply all the bracketry and such. You can get kits for axles with pumpkin on either side, to work with your t-case. They can do the whole thing if they do the work, but doing it yourself is cheaper and more satisfying /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have done it.

ORU makes a a kit, it is expensive and cheaply made. Talk to b454rat, he knows someone who is making them and they are about half the price. I would just make my own next time. I also wouldnt get the steering from ORU, they charge too much, you can get it better other places, such as Sky Manufacturing /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif, just to name a few.

You need a 77-79 Ford Dana 60. Those years the spring center is 32" instead of 36" and the tires wont hit the springs when you turn. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Youll need: brackets, axle, springs, bushings, brake lines, steering, and of course all the little parts.

It cost about 6k, AT COST, thats including: front and rear springs, bushings, brake lines, D60, 14bff, SAS brackets, steering, all new gears and bearings (both axles), locker, driveshafts, brakes, hubs, wheel bearings, basically everyhting. It is cheaper to do it your self, ORU wants 12k to do a SAS, haha YEAH RIGHT!

As for the computer, speedo and odometer will be off and ABS wont work.

I think thats about it, unless i fergot something? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Golly , thats a bit of work. I just got bored at work and remembered the install article on ORU a couple years back in Four Wheeler. When you say cheaply made , did it break? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No didnt break, but the material is thin, not very stout, IMHO. I guess there good, brackets, but really, not all that impressive.

8. slickster

I think I will hold off on the axle swap. It would be cheaper for me to buy an older blazer with the solid axle in there already. I also just looked into re-gearing the IFS truck I have now and my mechanic quoted me 1000.00 per axle on this. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I do appreciate all your help and replies everyone! Slick /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    No didnt break, but the material is thin, not very stout, IMHO. I guess there good, brackets, but really, not all that impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree. The brackets look great to me. Just because it's not 1/2" plate is no reason to say there not very good. The difference is that theres are properly engineered and are able to use lighter material whereas alot of do it yourself stuff is made from 1/4" plate just slapped together.

I highly recomend the ORU kit over all others.