Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping in a 4L80E

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sandracer799, May 21, 2004.

1. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

If i wanted to swap a 4l80e into my 87 Blazer what all would be involved or is it even possible? The truck is carberated if that makes a difference.
    Thanks in advance
    Josh

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

jet makes a stand alone computer, but you would need a throttle position sensor and a vehicle speed sensor

i think

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Jet makes an awesome tranny with a stand alone kit. Only down side is it is runs about 4k /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A little to much for my pocket book. Since I only spend 1500 on the burb. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Try one of bowtie overdrives 700R4 trannies. They have different levels to handle up to 600 horsepower. I know there are a few people on this board who have used them.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A 4L80E is not a good choice for a blazer because of its length. The rear driveshaft would end up too short and would be hard to correct U-joint angles and get rid of vibration.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    A 4L80E is not a good choice for a blazer because of its length. The rear driveshaft would end up too short and would be hard to correct U-joint angles and get rid of vibration.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree with 4x4high, the 4L80E is a long tranny and hard to make work with a taller lift because of the short driveshaft.

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Art Carr makes a fully manual valve body for the 4l80E. It needs no computer, but you have to shift it manually. I think it's around $250. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a 4l80e in my K5. It fits just fine thank you.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Anyone know a place with a good price for a good 4L80E? When this 700R4 goes I am thinking 4L80E.

If you are fuel injected do you need the stand alone computer? The computer has the TPS, VSS, and lockup built in.

4L80E's came with 241's right? 32 spline input on the Tcase? If you use the 32 spline input can you use a NP208 on the 241 adapter? Thanks

Harley

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If people are doing doublers in a blazer, a 4L80E with one transfer case can surely be done.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I belive the 4l80e has 2 VSS. Cant remember the other differences between it and the 4l60e (700r4) at the moment.

12. azblazor

I bought a low mileage 4l80E w/241 and adapter for 725 in Yuma. You can run a 208 on the 241 adapter. It is a 32 spline output. Depending on the year the 4wd 4l80e, may have a VSS output or not. Both of mine do, on some years they quit putting the reluctor ring in them and took the VSS off the TC. To run an after market controller (or a GM computer for that matter) you need VSS, RPM, TPS. I'm pretty sure any year of GM computer from 91 on could be made to run a 4l80e with sufficient re-programming, chip replacement ($$ or time). And you can run a 4l80E and a doubler. Mine is nearing completion (I am bench fitting up my spare 4l80e with a 32 spline 203 using a 241 adapter). Shawn (Potent Rodent) in colorado is running or close to running a 4l80e with a doubler. I think there might be another guy or 2 that have that setup.

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running an 88 TPI MAF computer. Do you know if that can be made to work with the things a 4l80E needs to operate? If not I would probably swap to the manual valve body and a computer for a manual TPI setup. Thanks

Harley

14. azblazor

Harley,
    As far as I know - any computer that ran the 4l60e or the 4l80e can be reprogramed/tweaked to do the other. The DIY-EFI guys is the place I go to look for information about GM computers ECM/PCMs. I have never reprogrammed/chip burned a vehicle computer. I have always wanted to learn more and maybe dabble in it .....but you know how it goes. My K5 uses a 94 TBI factory setup, I had a TCI controller but I sold it to Shawn when I needed some cash. I am currently looking for a 91-93 diesel computer for my son's crew cab project.

15. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

I think I was told by someone when I looked into this for my dually that some of the 91 subs and crewcab trucks came with this tranny a seperate computer for the tranny. Does any one here know if this is true or not?

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I was told by someone when I looked into this for my dually that some of the 91 subs and crewcab trucks came with this tranny a seperate computer for the tranny. Does any one here know if this is true or not?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, it's true. I can think of 2 guys....burbinOR has a 91 3/4 burb with a 4L80 and Nevrenuf has a 91 crew cab with a 4L80.

17. azblazor

The 4l80E trucks never came with a seperate computer, EXCEPT for the diesels, and then only 1991,1992, and 1993. Period.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Art Carr makes a fully manual valve body for the 4l80E. It needs no computer, but you have to shift it manually. I think it's around $250. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a part number?
    They list a heavy duty valve body kit for the 4l80e (P/N 17904) but the column for the heavy duty manual valve body kit is blank with no part number.

As per this page on their site (notice the description difference between column 1 and 2): http://www.artcarr.com/catalog/p18.html?

I am trying to do a 4l80 manual swap and trying to find my best option (other than performance transmission center)