Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping in a diesel TH400, What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Mar 1, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I've got a TH400/208 combo from a military truck waiting to replace my broken 700R4/208. It'll be going behind a stock, 217K mile 305 gas motor (not exactly a torque monster but it still runs good so we'll run her till she dies). I'm running 4.56 gears and 37" boggers. The truck sees some street use, but usually only to go to town to show off; it's being built as an off road truck.
    So here's my questions:
    I've heard the diesels used lower stall torque converters and earlier shifting governors. Some say the lower stall is good for the trail, some don't. So, in your opinion, with my puny 305 gasser, should I swap in a gas TC and governor or will it work as is? What about just changing the governor to keep my 305 in her "power" band and keeping the lower stall TC? If I leave it as is, will little old ladies on those scooters from the grocery store be passing me at red lights? What would you do?
    Thanks in advance

P.S. I may pull a trailer every now and then. (I've got a set of hummer radials for the highway trips)

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it'll work fine. I'd run it.

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

C'mon, only one person has an opinion? I thought opinions were like a$$ holes, everybody has one. I've been wearing out the search button, but I'd still like some opinions. I'm thinking I'd like the control from the lower stall convertor on the trail? Can my 305 handle it? I'm also thinking a governor recalibration kit is in my future. Are these easy to figure out and adjust? Summit sells a B&M one that says it is for a 700R4/TH350/ and TH400, so could I just make the weights in the TH400 look just like the one in my 700 and it shift where my 700 did? Do these things come with instructions/ suggestions? Thanks in advance.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

if you just shift it manually, you can save the bucks from the gov kit. Personally, I would use the 305 TC, no use bogging that 305 down anymore than you have to.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

don't use the desiel TCM, it will bog the 305

6. Lonnie P

Lonnie P Registered Member

I ran one behind my 350 & the converter was fine, but full throttle shifts were a little low. I put in a valve body kit & new governer springs/weights & all was well.

7. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Did you decide what your going to do? I will be puting in my th400 soon and it's from a cucv.