Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping in a new tranny.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just got a rebuilt 700r4 last weekend. im getting ready to swap it in for my worn out trans. what is the best way to go about this? could anyone give me a step by step? i've taken out engines and trannys before, but never on a 4x4.

do you take off the Xfer case first? i want to know whats the easiest and safest way to do it. thanks.

2. bga

bga Registered Member

If you have a Transmission Jack (or access to one) you might not need to drop the T-Case first. It is the safest route however to drop the T-Case to eliminate the excess weight.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, thats what i thought, any other tips?

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

exactly what bga said.

I am in SA if you need any help, let me know, I think I am pretty close to you.

5. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that removing the xcase first makes the process easier. I've found in my blazer's that there is a removable access panel in the floor pan to make access to the tranny bolts a lot easier. If you remove the carpet you'll notice that the tunnel will unbolt. I'd check from the bottom first to ensure yours is the same way. I'd remove the torque converter with the tranny too. I'm in Torrance if you need a hand. Good luck!

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tip socalblazer, and thanks to you and funkycold for offering your assistance. i've already bribed my buddy to help me swap them and empty a 12 pack

hey funkycold, did you ever swap axles? let me know if you've got those 10b axleshafts still. thanks

7. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I knew i needed to send you a PM for something.

Yes I finally brought the 10b home and pulled the shafts for you.

send me an email and let me know when you want to get together.

fnkycld@msn.com