Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping in a TH400/NP205 in place of a TH700/NP208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerGuy, Jul 11, 2002.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

OK, I'm about to purchase a TH400 w/ NP205 adapter from a member here. I need to know what mods I will have to do to get this beast of a combo to work in my 84 K5(350/700/208 10 bolts). What kind of driveshafts mods are nesscessary, shortening, lengthing? Do I have to get a new crossmember or will the stock one for the 208 work? Will the stock 700 shift linkage work with the 400? I belive that the cooler lines are the same. I plan on getting the kickdown switch that mounts on the gas pedal, and I know I have to run a Vaccum line somewhere. I'm guessing I need to get the shifter for the NP205, but will it fit in the existing hole?? That's all I can think of now....any other tips & tricks would be great. TIA

Corby

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Dude just pm me your phone number and we will talk. I have been there and done that. Better yet bring your butt over to my house and we can talk about it this weekend and you can help me put my frt. clip back on my truck ( it is a little heavy) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm there! I'll try to get a hold of ya sometime tommorrow....WOOHOO! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

This is kinda funny to me. I am doing the same swap this weekend. Only I have a 241 now instead of a 208. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Your driveshafts will not work unless the 205 is a slip yoke output and the rear one will need retubed and you will need the correct yoke for the case. You will need a front shaft as far as I know now. I am pretty sure the flange for the front on the 205 is different then a 208. The th400 uses a switch mounted on the gas pedal for the kickdown. You will need a new crossmember and drill new mounting holes in your frame for the crossmember. Shfit linkage should work but your dash indacator will be off because OD will now be drive. Cooler lines should work. The shifter hole should be fine but I think you will need the cover plate for a 205 shifter. The vaccum can be tied in anyplace that is direct vaccum and not timed vaccum. Make sure to use as much hard line for the vaccum and just short pieces of rubber line to connect it. Your exhaust might need modified if you still have the stock y pipe. That's a good chunk of the info I have right now. Good luck with it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The only part I'm worried about are the driveshafts. Can they just be modified at a shop or do I have to get a whole different setup?? I'm doing this on a budget(who isn't /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) so if I have to get two new shafts, I'll wait till I get my lift and 3/4 ton axles, so I just have to blow cash on one set of shafts instead of two. Thanks for the info /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Corby