Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping in Air Conditioning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FOURFOURMAG, May 2, 2003.

1. FOURFOURMAG

FOURFOURMAG Registered Member

I want to put air conditioning in my 1973 Blazer. For parts I have a 1980 1/2 ton truck with AC. What under-dash stuff am I going to have to swap?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Everything.........complete heater box(inside and out which means cutting a hole in the firewall), cables, control panel, you'll have to put in dash vents above the glove box, 2 vents on the instrument cluster bezel, all the a/c duct tubes....if i've missed anything, someone else will chime in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I put a/c from an 80 in my 78, and when you cut the hole, make sure it's the same size as the the underdash unit, not the underhood unit. I did it backwards and it causes all the air from the motor to leak out, and was quite a chore to seal up. I ended up having to put it in place and simply smear a hole tube of silicone around the edges inside to get it to seal.

One other note, I never bothered with the kick panel vents, and the panel inside the cowl that are supposed to use inside air when on max. I just plugged the vacumm hose that runs it and I've never had a problem.

Hope some of this helps.