Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping in an electric fan??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, May 22, 2006.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

I wanna put al electric fan in my truck, for more power and because i do alot of mud and water, and i dont enjoy hearing my fan slap off water. Someone told me i could get an electric fan out of a car and rig it up to my truck to replace the one running off my engine right now. 2 ppl have told me to find one of a ford taurus. Anyone dun somethin like this? if so what car to look for and how would i rig it up to work?

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

The ford sounds about right. If you do a search these fans IIRC are really two, and practically look like they were made for the truck.

3. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was thinking of doing this myself, but for other reasons. Anyway, everyone says the fan off of a 3.8 taurus is the way to go. Just make sure you get the voltage regulator too, IIRC

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Check this out:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81434

Now with that being said, I think the shroud design restricts air flow at highway speeds. In warmer weather at 70mph, I can watch the needle go past 210. The Ford Winstar fans are supposedly a (almost) direct fit for our radiators, I have yet to come across one, but I have been looking.

On a side note, A few months ago, I pulled a dual fan setup out of a later model Caddy, it really looked like it would work out nice, dual fans, high, med, and low speed for each. But, it was 2 inches too wide to fit on my radiator, between the charcoal canister and overflow tank. So, this last weekend, I went looking again, with a tape measure this time. I found a dual fan setup in a '92 caprice, that looks like it will fit with a little fabbing. On closer inspection, I saw that the fan motors on this setup and the Caddy setup appear to be identical, as well as the GM weatherpak connectors that plugs into them. So, what I am going ot do is take the wiring harness, with the three speed control from the Caddy fans, and plug them into the Caprice fans. It should work. I'll have to hook up the Caprice fans to a battery to do some current tests, but I see no reason why it will not work. Why do I need two fans with three speeds each? Hell if I know, but if I can make it work, then, cool, *bling*, I guess. I'll post up and tell ya if these fans will mount up with minimal fabbing. There were 5 or six more Caprice/Pontiac (Sunfire? I think) setupa at the yard, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

7. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I remember looking at my gf's sunfire thinking they would probably fit my rig....