Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping in another 6.2 - anything I should change out first?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Quack_Addict, May 2, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I finally got a good, running 6.2L with low miles for my 1987 3/4t Suburban the other day. I'm going to swap out the 6.2L that the previous owner killed with a lack of crankcase oil.

I'm going to change out the fuel filter, water separator, new air filter and (of course) change the oil & filter when I install the new engine. Is there anything else I might want to consider doing before I fire it up in the 'Burban?

The running 6.2L is used with approximately 60-80k miles on it. Prior to being installed in the donor vehicle, the unit came from GM as a replacement engine.

Thanks.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

When you got the "new" motor siting out check the glow plugs (with an Ohmeter). From there it's real easy to pull them especially if they're swollen. Absolute worse case senario, the head might have to come off. Still much easier on the floor.

3. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I just picked up the engine last night, and to my surprise... it's not a 6.2L... it's a naturally aspirated 6.5L. Now that I think about it, I remember hearing that GM did away with 6.2L replacement engines at some point in time and started shipping NA 6.5's. I can't believe how clean this thing is being a used Diesel.

What kind of glow plugs should I run???

Also, the vacuum pump is different on the 6.5 - I think it's driven off the power steering pump on the front of the engine instead of using a distributor type setup. It still has the hole in the back of the block , but there's a plug held in by a distributor style retainer. Hopefully, all I have to do is re-route the vacuum lines to the front of the engine.

4. dieselguy

dieselguy Newbie

Glow plugs for your 6.5 are the same ones as on the 6.2 and are avaiable at just about any parts store, expect them to be just under $10/ea. The glowplug relay will be a little difficult to test until its in the truck, but it should easy to determine if its working properely once installed. All 6.5 engines came from GM with a turbo, its a shame someone seems to have lifted this one off of you but differences in the two engines are so so slight it will seem like a really healthy 6.2. Because of the turbo on the 6.5s, the injection pump is set to higher fuel output specs than the 6.2 is, what does this mean? well, since your going to run yours N/A, it means you can expect it to smoke black on heavy loads/accel as there is no turbo to dump in more air to burn it. Expect mileage to be less than optimal until you get the pump recalibrated (or just back off the throttle when you start to see the black smoke)
    Good luck...

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Sorry, 6.5L engines were available in N/A versions from GM.

Quack, I'd go with AC-60G glow plugs.

Casey

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

The naturally aspirated 6.5L was an option on 8600lbs and up GVWR commercial vehicles from 1994 to whenever they started putting the Duramax in them, last year I think.

It makes 160hp at 3600 rpm and 290 ft/lbs of torque at 1700rpm.

So sayeth (in condensed form) the June 2000 issue of 4x4 Power. May it rest in peace./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

8. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

Hate to bust in here, but I have a Suburban that had a new 6.5 transplanted in place of the 6.2 (long story). It's also got a Banks Turbo made for the original 6.2. I figured with the 6.5, I'd need an injector pump for a 6.5. The original 6.2 pump had 120,000 on it. I picked up a DB2831 5088 on Ebay. After installing it, it seems like it has less power and it smokes when the turbo kicks in around 5 PSI accellerating. Does this mean my Banks turbo is now useless and I need one for a 6.5? or should I just have the 6.2 pump rebuilt?