Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping in Edelbrock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

The burb has been having some carb issues and I've gotten to the point that I've decided: Screw it, I've got a perfectly good edelbrock intake manifold and carb that I'm not using and I'm gonna swap them both in. The carb is a 600 cfm performer. I'm guessing this should be an easy swap. I would like to hear from people that have edelbrocks... how hard was the off road needle to install? I'm betting this carb and manifold swap should really wake this engine up. I'm taking it off a 283. I guess it'll just be a bolt up and go. :D
    thanks,
    James
    [​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was having trouble with my Qjet. I rebuilt it, still sucked. Put on a Holley 600. Still sucked, rebuilt it, still sucked. Put on an old Rochester, it sucked. I finally just bought an Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650 with the off road needle and seat. Bolted it on, that was the best my engine has ever run. All I did was tune the idle mixture a little bit. I only drove it around the block and parked the truck, never have used the carb since, but that one trip around the block was the most power and response that K5 and 355 ever had. I won't be able to comment on the offroad needle and seat for a few months yet. Have to finish the S10 first.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Migh have to play w/ the jets a little. If you took it off a 283( I hope I read that right) It may run to lean for the bigger motor. You should be able to pick up diffrent jets at the autoparts store.
    Intake should bolt up. use new gaskets and some RTV

4. 78Suburban

could I just mess with the 2 screws on the bottom of the carb? How will I know if its running rich or lean?
    thanks,
    James

PS: this setup made my little 283 come to life, so I'm really excited to see how it does on the 350.

5. 78Suburban

ttt
    I want to hear some more good things about e-brocks. No I don't want to hear they cut out on hills :eek1: :rolleyes:
    thanks,
    James

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I think that carb is gonna run fine on that motor. Bolt er on and see what happens. Its a 600 cfm right? How did it run on the other motor? To rich? To lean?

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

No, those screws only control idle mix. The edel is cake to tune, offroad needle and seat are easy to install and work well. The edel is the best bang for your buck out there. IMO about 80 % of the whiners out there ( edelbog, Quadrajunk ) have no clue how to set up a carb. Put it on set it up, It'll be fine till your EFI conversion. And dont forget I said " best bang for your buck " It's not the best carb made.

8. 78Suburban

Can air/ fuel meters be rented at an auto parts store? would richening/ leaning it be just changing out some jets (which I would have to learn how to do)? How hard are the off road needle kits to install?
    thanks,
    James

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The edelbrock I ran was very close on jetting out of the box. I'm at slightly higher elevation so a smaller main jet would have been better, but it ran great on the stock jets. With the offroad needle and seat kit it ran very well on inclines. I did have a couple of times where it wanted to flood out, but no real problems. No matter what, a carb cannot completely prevent flooding at extreme angles, but my edelbrock did a good job.

The kit is easy to install. Make sure to follow the instructions and measure float hieght as this is a big player in preventing flooding.

10. 91BurbDude

91BurbDude Registered Member

I put the Edelbrock 600 on my K5 with 305 and it was perfect. Electric choke worked perfect too. Had it on there for 3 years no problems whatsoever. It wasn't the off road version though so if I was spinning donuts in the mud and I came to an abrupt stop it would sometimes stall. It always started right back up though. Had I known at the time I would have put the off road needle and seat or whatever and I'm sure it would have been fine off camber. :doah: :laugh:

11. theperfectgarage

Edelbrock

Hey dude, just tried to pm ya, Im at work so no time. Pm me with your elevation and I'll set you up this evening with every part # you need and how to. I can get you really close, then test and read plugs and adjust if required. How come you dont accept pm's ? I promise not to stalk you.

12. 78Suburban

Unfortunately I'm still a bluebie, and I'm downright ashamed that I haven't poneyed up for a member ship to this place yet. I've just happened to find something I HAD to have to the burb evertime I get any money earned. I'm in Georgia, I think my elevation is not too far from sea level. I'm swapping it from a 283 to a 350.
    thanks,
    James

13. theperfectgarage

No sweat, I know all about lo dough. Watch this thread tonight, I'll get ya going.

14. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

the needls n stuff are super easy to swap. did mine a few months ago with the off-road needle package. cost about $12 bucks if i remember right. then block the iner-bowl tube with some fuel line and she'll be good to go. i turn my idle up a little when i plan on doing some good roadin. does well enough for me for now. u can call edlebrock and they will tell u everything u need to know. they are very helpfull. if not let me know, my buddy is dating his niece :D :D

15. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Her last name wouldn't happen to be McPeak (sp?) would it?

16. theperfectgarage

The coolest thing about working with these carbs is how much you can work on it on the truck and not spill gas all over. Take out the top screws, unhook a couple of linkage rods and you can reach the jets and adjust the floats . The metering rods load in from the top of the carb and are under the kidney shaped tin plates that are held in with one small screw each. No need to pull those screws all the way out, just loosen until you can swivel the plate over and remove the rods and step up springs. You can do a fair bit of tuning the primary main system with just the rods and springs.
    If you look at the metering rods you will see how there tapered with a step in them. The higher the rod rises in the jet opening the more fuel available. The rods rising is controlled by the amount of vacuum and the spring rate on the step up springs. If you have a mid range driveability prob but it goes away as you give more pedel try a stronger ( higher vacuum ) step up spring to help get the fuel faster.Another part in that play is the linkage which controls the accelerator pump. It has three settings to control the rate and duration of the intial pump shot.

PARTS
    1. off road needle and seat # 1465
    2. step up spring kit # 1464
    3. accelerator pump # 1470
    4.calibration kit ( jets/rods ) # depends

The calibration kit part # depends on which model # carb you have. A 1406 calls for a kit # 1487. You can also order jets and rods in separate pairs.
    To install your needle and seat the top of the carb has to come off and thats also the time to adjust the floats. The suggested float drop is 15/16" to 1" and the float level should be set to 7/16". Call Edelbrock and order the performer series carb owners manual. They can fax or email the pages to you. You want this manual as there is more to tuning these carbs then my basic over view here.
    Now theres no need to sweat all this just to try her out, If your carb has the stock set up It will be damn close. Put her on and see how she goes.
    I listed the accelerator pump cause if the carbs been sitting a long time they can leak out the top of the carb and there cheap.
    Oh yeah, the idle air mix screws, almost forgot. It's nice to have a vacuum gauge and tach but you can do it by ear. Back the screws out 2 1/2 turns set your idle and one at a time slowly turn the screws in or out to achieve the fastest idle. Reset the idle screw ( on the throttle ) and repete with the air mix screws . It's best with a vacuum gauge, just adjust each side for the highest vacuum at the correct idle speed and thats done.
    I test my mid throttle on a piece of road I can cruise in third gear (sm456 ) at about 35 mph then I floor it and see how she responds, If she kind of falls flat and then rips I change to stiffer Higher vacuum rate springs and that will often be the cure. For a general view of your jetting you want to be checking your plugs also.
    Well, theres some basics, I hope I'ts helpfull to you.

17. 78Suburban

Perfect Garage:
    that is some awsome advise. Could I call you one night (at 9 EST, when my cell is free) and talk to ya about it if I run into any problems? Like maybe get ya to walk me through some of that stuff. My email is speedy_buck@hotmail.com if you wanna email me your phone number. If you don't, thats fine too, I really apprecaite the post. I'm hoping agaist hopes that I won't have to do much tuning and can just bolt her on. Its supposed to rain tomrrow, but maybe I can get my intake and carb on before it does.
    Thanks,
    James

18. theperfectgarage

Not a prob, happy to help.

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Box up the Q-jet , send it to me . I'll give ya 50 bucks for it Thursday :D

20. 78Suburban

[​IMG]

[​IMG]