Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping in TBI and 700R4/208

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by azblazor, Dec 7, 2001.

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Next weekend we are taking out the TH350/NP203 and putting in a 700R4/NP208. The receiving vehicle is a 77 Suburban. The donor is a 87 K5. We are also putting in TBI. Any wisdom, gotcha's, don't forget to......, stuff like that would be welcome. We have the donor vehicle. Any opinions on whether it would be cheaper/better to have the K5 drive shaft lengthened or to have the suburban drive shaft shortened and slip fitting put on??
    Thanks
    Mark

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

to have a shaft shortened is always cheaper to do.
    make sure you double check all electrical conn.
    take your time, dont rush it.
    and maybe trim your fenders while your motor is out.
    Grant
    PS treat any rust at this time, makes it easier.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TBI fuel tank out of a Suburban. Sell me your K5 tank. : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. azblazor

Why wouldn't the K5 tank bolt up into the Suburban? They sure look pretty much the same.

<font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

5. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

i think the FI fuel tanks are baffled, and the pump is already in there........

i may be wrong howeverr......

** i'm so money **

6. dyeager535

I was going on the typical (?) 40 gallon Suburban tank. (that the K5's didn't get obviously) Was 40 optional or standard? I'd like to know if Suburban tanks are a bolt in, significantly increases my chances of getting a TBI one.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

7. azblazor

I'll put up the post mod lessons learned, to include the fuel tank information. I know that the standard Suburban is 30 something. The optional one is the 40 ish one. But as we are going low buck we will plan on using the K5 tank.

Hey I do have a question for you Dorian, do you have any tips on using that Camaro tach in your K5?? That's pretty cool.
    Mark

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You can use a non-baffled tank - I have my original '79 tank with TPI, no problems. That said, if you can, go for baffled for those times you are on an angle and low on fuel, I suppose there could be some fuel starvation problem.

Also consider the fuel line issue. Are you using an in-tank pump or external? Not sure if the vehicle you are going into has adequate rubber lines for the increased pressure of the TBI pump - tho it isn't a huge amount more pressure over a stock manual/carbed vehicle fuel pump output, is it? For TPI the pressure is 40 psi plus, think TBI is 13ish?

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. azblazor

My son wants to go with the inline fuel pump - but I'm thinking we can save ~$100 buy using the K5 tank and pump. He will lose about 30 gallon capacity if you count the axilliary tank we are removing.

10. dyeager535

Just gotta check Ebay for pictures of one like it. My dad built the thing, and didn't pay attention to what year Camaro it came off of. :( (? www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html

11. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I'd take out the inner fenders if i were you, not too hard to get out and gives you a whole lot more access to everything. I'd do it if i pulled my engine again. - Doug

Doug Krebs

12. azblazor

Yeah, BTW we just bought "Chevrolet TPI &amp; TBI Engine swapping" written by Mike Knell and published by JTR (Jags That Run). I going to read it, but on first glance it's definately not a cookbook.
    Mark