Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping Input shaft for NP205. Hard or easy???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm about to trade NP205's with a guy here for his manual setup and my auto. My np205 is in excellent condition as I got it rebuilt with all new gears, bearings, seals. Powder coated it black too. Cant I just swap input shafts with him? We are trading th350/np205 (mine) for his sm465/np205. So cant I just make a input shaft swap on the spot? Any help appreciated.

2. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

You'll have to disassemble the NP205 a fair bit to be able to
    change the input gear.

--Rob

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Input is easy to swap. You will need a new gasket for the output side. Take the yoke off 1 5/16" nut then remove the 9/16 bolts holding the rear section on then you can pull the output shaft out and the input will come out through the rear. Watch out for the needle bearings as they will fall out. If I am not mistaken there are 15 of them. Assemble in reverse using grease to hold those needle bearings in place till you can put it back together.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken