Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping knucles for cross over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Oct 13, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

do i really need to change both knuckles? or just the passenger side? i mean nothing will affect the driver side right? i have my passenger one machined and ready to go on
    i was thinking since my driver side has good ball joints and all, it would save me some time and money just changing the passenger side out? am i wrong?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

your drivers side should be fine... not like you'll be using the steering arm thats on it anymore.

j

3. purple76pearl

well im pressed for time and need to get this all put on, so i was thinking i could put passenger on right now, make my drag link and be on about my buisness, and later on when time isnt such a huge factor, i could replace my drivers side and put on another arm for HIGH STEER, just making sure it would be alright

4. jekbrown

unless you are going histeer, there is no need to mess with the drivers side steering arm at all... now or later.

j

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

un less your drivers side knuckle has the taper from the top down how ya gonna hook up your tie rod ???
    1 on the top 1 on the bottom ??? goood luck getiing your steering straight

6. jekbrown

holy bullsnizzle! is this guy talking about running a high steer arm on the passanger side and the factory set up on the drivers side... at the same time?! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j

7. purple76pearl

NO THIS GUYS ISNT
    this guy is asking if i can change my passenger side right now, since the tapper is the same as the drivers side then later on changing the drivers side, only because i will replace ball joints, and then run high steer

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the difference in tie-rod arm heights. There is good info on ORD's site.
    Clicky

[​IMG]

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Looks like everyone is getting way off the subject you asked about...

Yes you can put in the Pass side flattop that is already machined for crossover. Then keep your stock tie rod and Drivers side knuckle in place until later. Just remember you will need to have your alignment done after changing balljoints & knuckles so you will end up doing the alignment twice if you wait to change the Drivers side.

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    un less your drivers side knuckle has the taper from the top down how ya gonna hook up your tie rod ???
    1 on the top 1 on the bottom ??? goood luck getiing your steering straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanted to make sure this didn't get missed. You can swap just one IF your driver's side tie rod also mounts from the bottom and you can hook it back up that way (sounds like yours does).

The info about the alignment is good too. If you're replacing ball joints (not a bad idea, since how often do you really have your knuckles off anyway) then you can get the knuckles and tie rod on and you won't have to mess with alignment again later. Even if you choose to do the crossover swap a bit later, the only adjustments you'll have to do will involve setting up the drag link.

BUT if high steer is in your future, taking the old steering arm off is a little more convenient in a vice on a bench than in your wheel well, so if you're ready to go crossover, I'd change both knuckles and take the old arm off. May save you a headache later. That's my plan, but then again that's why my parts are still sitting in boxes and not on the truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif