Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping manual to hydro clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I broke my bellhousing on my truck. I came across a hydro bellhousing and a slave cyl. What else do I need to convert it to hydro instead of just changing the mech. bellhousing? Just the hydro pedal, master cyl, and hose? Is that it or am I missing something?
    Somebody said I cant use my existing throwout bearing and flywheel? Does anyone know about this?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need the hydro pedals.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Is that it, just the pedals? I don't have to change the flywheel and throwout bearing?

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Your list is complete. It's an easier swap if you have the hydro pedals, and you need the master cylinder and hose. You will also need the correct throwout arm for the throwout bearing. Those arms are bent slightly different between manual and hydro setups, one of them is straighter. I think it was TopOff? that even had pictures of his swap posted on this site.

I believe you can use your existing flywheel, but you might need a hydro specific pressure plate and throwout bearing. Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny this.

I did this swap this past summer, but without digging up my reciepts/paperwork, my memory is a little foggy. Hope some of this helps!

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The throwout bearing should work. As for the flywheel, it will work also, but be sure it fits. I kept my '72 flywheel, and the bellhousing is a '93, everything boltedup,but it rubbed a little on the bellhousing, good thing its aluminum! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif