Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping my engine... need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 11, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to keep my ac, and the motor I'm swapping in is non AC. So I'll need to use the double pulley from the fan and PS pump on my Suburban. The fan pulley is no problem to swap out. But what about the power steering pump? The new motor's PS pump doesn't leak like my burb's, but it only has 1 pulley, hence is not compatible with my AC compressor. I think swapping just the pullies would be a major PITA. I wonder how I can find and fix the leak in my burb's PS pump. Or should I just find a way to swap the pullies?
    Also, when I swap in all of the AC and PS bracketry, I'm pretty sure I will have to remove several of the water pump bolts, so will I need to use a new gasket on the water pump? or can I just leave it on and pull the bolts on that side?
    Wow, keeping this AC really is gonna be a pain :crazy:
    Thanks,
    James

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you've got an auto zone near you, you can rent a pulley puller or you can just buy one, they aren't that expensive. As for the waterpump issue your talking about, I don't think and of the bolts go into the actual water pump MOUNTING of the water pump, but if they do, water pump gaskets are only a couple bucks :thumb:

3. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

i would get access to apuller and change the pulley. also for the low cost of water pumps i always put a new one on with any motor swap

4. 78Suburban

any tips on pulling and installing a PS pulley?
    thanks,
    James :o :o

5. mayerichm

mayerichm Registered Member

nope, just use a puller to get them off, then a bolt and washer to get the one you want on

6. 78Suburban

I"m borrowing one from Autozone tomorrow :D any more tips on using a pulley puller?
    thanks,
    James

7. mayerichm

mayerichm Registered Member

it should be a power steering pulley puller...that's a mouthful. It's different than a regular pulley puller, it doesn't use three jaws instead it fits over the lip around the center. You'll understand when you get it, and I'm sure the people at autozone will explain it to you...I bet there is a liability issue if they don't.

8. 78Suburban