Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping out an 84 steering column for...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, May 7, 2002.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Anyone know what years will work for this swap? I want the tilt as well as delayed wipers, cruise, etc. function on the turn signal arm also. How about the 90's? Even though they have the airbag in the steering wheel, can I still use the column? Thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if '84 was the first year of both wiper and headlight dimmer on the column, anything from then 'til '87 in the trucks, and of course '91 for the Blazer, Suburban, Crew Cab and Chassis-Cab will be a drop in. You can use ones from cars and S-10's too if you like, but the length is usually, if not always, wrong, so parts would have to be swapped from a donor truck column. (which might include the turn signal switch etc, if the length difference is in the "mast" section)

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I tried to put a tilt colum from an 86 Blazer into my 84 pick-up without tilt and it didn't work. The starter switch and wiring harness on the lower part of the colum were different.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes you are right, physically it will bolt in, but you may end up with some wiring plug differences. The differences I ran into were all for the chime/alarm modules, but that was it, in my case. That could really be year dependent. Should be fairly easy if going from one column to another to compare the wiring at both plugs.