Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping out TH400 for a 4L80E on a 6.2

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by azblazor, Jun 18, 2002.

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am putting a 4L80E into a 1986 K30 4x4 6.2 NA diesel with a TH400/NP205. I am looking for a stock GM computer for a 91-93 6.5 turbo diesel in order to control the 4L80E. Does anyone have any insight on this swap? Any spare controllers out there?
    I have the 4L80E from a 94 Suburban 454 4x4 and pieces of the wiring harness. Does anyone know if the torque convertor from the 94 Gas Suburban will work acceptably on the diesel? Is the flexplate that's on the diesel going to work for the 4L80E? I know that I have to put a TPS on and get a 40pulse VSS signal from the Trany or transfer case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know that I can buy transmission controllers from aftermarket sources but I don't have the money to go that way.

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I think your are going to need a RPM signal from the engine as well. When I called JET on that conversion for my '88 crew cab it was going to run $4,000 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif !

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dan,
    Well I got the 4L80E for a song. I know that I can get a TPS for the fuel injector pump, I might have to get a reluctor ring for the 4L80E for the VSS output, and the RPM I will have to figure out - right now I have a Autometer 2888 that is driven from the alternator, I don't think that signal will work but once I have the computer I will figure it out. All the standalone systems are $1000 or more it seems like!