Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping spider/side gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Oct 27, 2004.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Well, I picked up some new spiders and side gears, along w/ a pin, some washers and whatnot (rebuild kit) for my venerable open ten bolt. So what's involved with swapping out the spiders and side gears? Pretty straight forward, or are there some tricks, quirks, or any little hang ups I should know before I tackle this job? Probably gonna swap the gears in after work today. TIA.

John

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

it's not a bad job. Just have to play around with the install sequence of the spiders some til you get them to all go in the way they should. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Besides having to smell gear oil, its an easy job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Pull the cover, pull the pin (8 mil bolt head, 6 point), push in the axles, C clips fall out, take out spiders, side gears and all shims.

Put the new side gears in, with oil between the shims and side gear, put the spider gears in, THEN put the shims for them in, C clips, new pin and bolt, cover and oil.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Got rained out yesterday, so I'll be tackling this today /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

John