Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping steering wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Just wondering if a steering wheel puller is absolutely neccessary to remove the steering wheel? I'm swaping out my wheel for a Grant wheel. I read in my Haynes that you need a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel...is that true? I figure I would just yank it out or bang it out or something. Don't want to spend $ on a puller if I'm only using it once, unless I absolutely need it. Thanks in Advance.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. IH82LUZ2FORDS

IH82LUZ2FORDS Registered Member

I suppose technically a steering wheel pull in not necessary but I really recomend it, they are cheap and you never know when you are going to need it again. But if you don't want to buy one, heres what I would do.

First Pull your seat as far as it can go, while you sitting in it. Then place you knees up behind the steering wheel, then put your forearms behind the top of the steering wheel, have a friend grab a hammer and then have him hit the steering wheel from behind, while you are pulling as hard as possible on the wheel, will take a lot of work, the c*ck sucker is on there good. But getting the wheel off is the easy part, I don't know if you have to, but you might have to take off the pressure plate to install a new wheel, thats kinda hard too, but they also make a tool for that. Good luck, let me know if you have any q's.

Rob, 88k5

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could just rent a puller, most rental shops have them...

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

4. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

just check out an autozone or checker, they make you deposit what its worth but when you give it back they refund you everything. it works out really good for those tools that you only need to use once.

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Just get a puller. 8 bucks or so. DONT BANG IT OFF WITH A HAMMER. YOU WILL SCREW YOUR STEERING COLUMN.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My steering wheel puller cost $4 from Autozone. Little thing, nothing to it, but neccessary.
    Think about how you'll feel if you cheese out on $4, then mess up your $$$ steering wheel.
    Good luck.
    -- Mike

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I got my Blazer I one of the first things done to it was replacing the stock wheel with a Grant. I did not use a puller I did what any 16 year old would do and bang the hell out of it with a hammer, and it worked No damage what so ever! I consider myself lucky. Do yourself a favor and by the puller!

8. You could always use a harmonic balancer puller if you have one laying around and if it fits, of course

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I can't imagine how insanely hard it would have been to swap mine out without a puller. I paid $7 for mine at a Western Auto I think. It'll save you alot of time and you won't run the risk of jacking up your steering column.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

BUY THE PULLER !! lol.
    I just put a newer model 4 spoke in my 83 and it was a beyotch to remove the wheel's. I beat the wheel with a hammer, sat in the seat.. tried pulling with all my might, no go.. I removed it by using a ball peen hammer hitting the center of the wheel where it's held on my the nut.. it came off.. And I'm glad I did no damage to the column.
    Steering wheel pullers are only like 5 bucks in JC Whitney.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Cool, thanks for the info. I never priced a puller so I didn't think it was that cheap. (thought it was going to be like $30+). Anyways, guess I'm going to the parts store after work today to get a puller. Thanks for all the info and help.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

12. slash

slash Registered Member

Great website - thanks for all the tech tips! BTW AutoZone and most other parts store lend the tool for the steering wheel job. Works like a champ and takes way less time for the job...good luck!

13. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

good choice, but now, just because you decided to buy one you will never use it again....lol

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

14. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I have put several different steering wheels on my K5. I bought a puller the first time when I was replacing the stock wheel with a Grant. The second time, I went to take the old Grant wheel off to realize that Grant makes a puller and it is different from the stock one. So I ended up having to rig the other because it was late and the stores were closed. Just something to watch out for the next time you go to take it off.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"