Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping the mouse for the rat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bgwhlr, Feb 18, 2003.

1. bgwhlr

bgwhlr Registered Member

Hello, I am new to the site and need some serious input...
    I recently finished a 454 for my 72 K5 blazer. It won't fit the 350cu inch location due to the cross member hitting the 454 oil pan, what are my options. I also recently found the big block towers for those years, but they don't bolt to the cross-member. Please help, need to get motor in for 4x4 event on March 1st /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Got cutting torch? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sounds like you need to modify something. Hopefully someone who has done it will speak up.

3. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

thats weird cause I got a 454 in my 71 and all we had to do was caress the firewall (bash it in other words) to clear the valve cover, and modify the clutch linkage, beings mine is a 4-s[eed. and other than that it fit easy. maybe a different oil pan?

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I'm days away from sitting a 454 in my 69 K20 and I've been collecting info as I prepared for this swap. Generally I have gathered that the major problem will be the firewall clearance. I'm doing a 2" body lift for other reasons that should fix that problem. Haven't heard of the oil pan being a normal problem. I have learned that the 72 big block tower's don't work without modifying them. Some people have recommended getting a crossmember and towers from a 73-up - but I haven't followed up on that. I'm just gonna cross my fingers and see what happens with mine.

5. bgwhlr

bgwhlr Registered Member

Thanks for the info, I did take the cutting torch advice, and now I've added 1.5 inch drop by welding in spacers. It now clears, and also the sledge hammer intro to the fire wall worked well for the drivers side rocker covers. thanks again.