Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping to a manual transmission

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Dec 20, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I have a 79' chevy pickup with the th350 and a 205 case,I want to swap in a manual tranny because the current tranny which I just replaced does not work,so what would I need to convert it? whats the manual tranny with a low 1st gear? is it a sm420 or somthing like that? how much money would I need to get all the parts?this is somewhat a low-budget swap could it be done with $500 or lower? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The tranny you want is an SM465, and the going rate for the conversion parts is about $500. That would include the tranny, t-case, and all the clutch linkage. It's best if you find an old truck so you are sure everything is there, just yank all the stuff and put it in your truck. In fact, someone linked to a '80 Blazer on e-bay today that has a buy it now price of $500, it would be perfect for you, but it's in the Northeast. </font color>

3. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

could I still retain my 205 case? I have to get a new adapter right?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Pretty much all 465s came with 205s attached to them, with the notable exception of the '74 model year. So I'd just buy the whole unit and swap it in. The 205s for TH350s are kind of rare, so you could sell that and make some of your money back. </font color>

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    The later version SM465's came w/ the 208 t-case(a little weaker but better lo-range).I'd try and grab up a later version with the hydro clutch.It makes it alot easier to shift.I did this conversion awhile ago.You will need the flywheel,trans,t-case,hydro slave unit,pedal assembly.Possibly other items would include steering column(if you don't want the auto one),driveshafts,trans x-member.It's best to pull or buy a whole truck and install all you need.Mike

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

your 205 has a different input gear then a 4 speed one.
    your 350 version has a female 27 spline input gear
    the common 465 version has a male 10 spline.
    it is best to buy a tranny and transfer case as a complete assembly IMO as it reduces the hidden costs.
    several on here have done this swap and a search will find a series of posts by Krazie87K5 that are a good read.
    also I am certain Topoff would be helpful, and Leadfoot, countless others start with a search though.