Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swapping to Auto???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeremy_C, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of Swapping my 4-speed for a Auto Trans. How hard is this gonna be?? Any big reasons not to do this??

Its a 77 Chevy 4x4 pickup 350. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

why do you have to be different... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif most everybody else is going from auto to manual...

Going from a 4-speed to an auto is pretty easy...ned to replace the flywheel w/ a flexplate, get the TC, tranny...If you want a column shifter, you need to swap in the steering column from an auto. If I were you, I would get a th400 (or 4l80-e if money is no object) with a shifter through the floor. The you can either replace the pedal assembly with one form an auto if you or just swap in the double-wide brake pedal or just cut off the clutch pedal...

Why do you wanna ditch your manual...?If you have a manual clutch and you want a lighter pedal feel, go with a hydro clutch.....

Chris

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

4 speeds rule...listen to Chris!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

4. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I like bein different /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just a thought, i'm tired of takin long trips an changin gears all the time. I like to eat an drive /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. tRustyK5

No need to shift on a long drive...traffic and eating don't go together too well though.

Rene

6. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

[hijack] Hey Rene, how does the manual/diesel combo work? Do you find yourself shifting more than you thought you would because of low red line? Do you have the granny gear tranny? I bet that thing crawls like a beast. I may do this swap in the future, but not anytime soon. Likin my 700 right now. [/hijack]

7. tRustyK5

My combo works really well. With the 4.56's and 39.5's I don't find I have to shift particularly early or often, yet I can almost start off in 3rd. It is downright amazing in first gear low range though. I *think* it would smoke the clutch before stalling at idle.

As for the low redline...3600 isn't that low, I rarely shifted above that rpm with my 350 so it's no big difference with the 6.2. I have found the govenor once, for some reason the 6.2 really likes to rev which surprised me a bit.

I'm quite happy with it, definitely a worthwhile swap in my case!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

How hard was it to put the clutch pedal in? or was your truck already cut for it? that's the part that scares me about doing it.

9. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

putting in the clutch pedal isnt hard, although can be time consuming. i replaced the complete pedal sled, which means you have to remove the nuts that hold on your brake boster in the engine compartment. on a hydroboost setup theses are easier to get at, compared to the vacum assist braking systems. you also have to add the linkage bracket that mounts to the frame, the holes are already there, you just have to get a bracket and bolt it on. (they come riveted from the factory) the pedal setup isnt much to worry about.

10. tRustyK5

My Jimmy was a factory 4 speed truck. The donor 6.2 came from a factory 4 speed truck. Trust me, this was the easiest part of the swap...

Rene

11. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I would trade you transmissions if I was home. Always loved manuals.

Jon